Chapter 20 (1st Draft)

Later that night, Troy, Lucas and Jules retreated to Troy's office and had a private conversation about the events of the day - but mostly about Penn.

Jules kicked it all off by making the most unexpected statement, "I think she is quite extraordinary."

She sat in a wing backed chair by the lit fireplace in Troy's office and looked from her mate to her Alpha expecting them to agree. Neither of them offered anything right away. Troy seemed distracted and Lucas was watching him carefully. Troy was sitting on the edge of his desk, arms crossed loosely over his chest, and he was looking down at the floor moodily.

Jules tried to catch Lucas' eye but he was too intent on watching Troy. Finally, in a loud voice Jules said "Well?" and dragged the word out for emphasis. "Don't you think so too?" She wasn't sure whether to be amused or annoyed with the two of them.

Lucas, cautiously offered, "She has a remarkable story. That's for sure." He was still watching his Alpha closely. Something had changed in him since he came back from the private meeting with Penn in the cafeteria. Lucas wasn't sure what was different but he could feel there was a change in Troy – he could feel it in his gut. It wasn't a bad thing necessarily. It's just that it was new and that caused Lucas to wonder what had happened in the cafeteria.

Jules, disappointed by the men's reactions, got up from her chair with a little huff and made her way over to her mate. She slid her arms around his waist to get his full attention. When he smiled lovingly down at her she frowned up at him and asked, "What is it? What am I missing?"

He laughed out loud and shook his head. "You'll have to ask your Alpha. He's the only one that knows." He grinned at his wife and she stuck out her tongue at him, which he responded to by kissing her playfully.

The two turned to look at Troy afterwards but he hadn't heard a word of their exchange or even been aware of their flirtatious behaviour. He was still deep in thought and still staring at the wood floor. They watched him for quite some time knowing he'd come around.

"What was it you were saying Jules?" he asked after a long silence.

She walked over to him now, smiled gently at him and asked, "I wanted to know if you thought Penn was as remarkable as I did." She saw some kind of emotion flash in his eye and then disappear.

He unfolded his arms and pressed his hands to the edge of the desk while turning his face to her and then to Lucas. Both of them were looking at him intently.

"Yes, quite," he offered quietly, soberly, thoughtfully.

Jules eyes lit up and she whirled around to look at her mate with excitement. Lucas smiled but said nothing. The two of them had come to the same conclusion, but it seemed that their Alpha had yet to figure it out for himself.

Lucas pressed a single finger to his lip and Jules understood she was not to say anything just yet. Instead, she turned back to her Alpha and asked with increasing curiosity, "What did you talk about in the cafeteria?"