Chapter 32 (1st Draft)

* Media pic shows one of the mountain caves Penn found during her winter away from everyone.

Beta Lucas and Jules approached Penn and Alpha Troy when the 10 minutes was up. Lucas cleared his throat a bit loudly since the two were still caught up in an tight embrace. The sight of which made him grin ear to ear at his mate Jules. She returned the happy smile.

But, when Troy growled at him in response, Lucas felt anxious. He just wasn't the least bit use to this moody alpha and it was unnerving. Jules, feeling much the same way, gave his arm an encouraging squeeze all the same.

Lucas took a deep breath and in a subdued but clear voice related the news, "Looks like everyone has made up their minds Alpha Troy about whether to stay or go."

It was Penn who disengaged herself from Troy's hold and faced Lucas. He was still in awe of her beautiful appearance and found it hard to look directly at her without blushing like a school boy. She, entirely oblivious to the effect she was having on him and everyone but the children, gave him a curt nod and then walked straight past him while looking for the Griffin pups.

They had all traded their furs for the skins while the new adoptive families talked about who would go and who would stay. It was not lost on Penn that they appeared completely at ease in their skins despite not having a stitch of clothes on. She might have pointed it out, how much they'd changed since those first few weeks she knew them, but was checked by a desire not to embarrass them. Instead, she just grinned at them and waved them over to her.

"Listen up," she told them as she took them aside privately, "these wolves don't know what it's like to survive in the wilds but you do. So, I'm going to need you all to step up and do your part to show them the ropes. Is that understood?"

"But, but we are just pups," Cassidy protested.

She didn't mind taking charge of the pups from her own pack but she had reservations about telling these adults - these strangers - what to do. The other children looked as unsure as she felt.

Penn smiled at the girl and the others before saying with confidence, "You aren't pups anymore. You are survivors. And the eighteen of you know more about living and surviving in the wilds than all the adults gathered here put together. You are their best chance to live out there away from their comfy homes. Don't you see that?" she asked sincerely.

"Even Mia?" Ace, one of the 14 year old twins, asked. He looked at the little 3 year old and felt doubtful.

Penn laughed and nodded. "She's got more experience eating raw kills and scrounging for grubs and the like than any of these pampered adults do, doesn't she?"

The children's eyes went wide with sudden comprehension. This wasn't just some trek up the mountain. They weren't going for a school trip. They, and the villagers, were going up there to live wild for the next few days or weeks or worse. And Penn was right. The kids, including Mia, knew more about how to forage, how to keep warm, how to spot a safe place to rest, or detect a dangerous sound or scent in the woods, then Orthos adults did.