Chapter 18 (1st Draft)

*The media pic shows what Penn's pale blue eyes might look like.

Well, this was the end of her time with the pups, Penn surmised as she followed Alpha Troy down the corridor. There was no doubt in her mind, despite his calm demeanour, that he'd come that evening to send her on her way after she threatened to make the cook cry earlier in the day. She was puzzled that he'd waited this long to kick her out of the pack, but she was also glad he'd given her one last day with the pups, whether that was intentional or not.

Penn consciously worked on keeping her shoulders from sagging and her feet from dragging as she walked to the cafeteria where an escort was likely waiting to whisk her quickly off Orthos territory. Part of her was glad that the youngest children were all tucked away in bed and would be spared the knowledge, at least for tonight, that she'd been sent away. But, part of her felt distraught that she wasn't going to get a chance to tell them what special little pups they all were and what a pleasure, and an honour, it had been getting to know them.

Her heart constricted and it was a little difficult to breath. She pressed the heal of her palm into her breast bone for a moment trying to get a little relief from the pressure there.  She had to get her feelings under control or she was going to fall apart before Alpha Troy's team even got her out of the cafeteria.

Breaking down was not an option under any circumstances she warned herself.

Penn worked diligently in the next few steps to push all thoughts of the children and pictures of their lovable faces out of her mind. She scolded herself for being fainthearted and told herself to toughen up. The bitter truth was that the pups were better off without her, and she knew all along that this day was coming. So, there was no reason to succumb to sentimental thoughts and feelings. There was no reason for her heart to ache and her eyes to burn with tears.

She blinked rapidly and tried to take some deep, calming breaths.

Penn sniffed the air as they neared the cafeteria's double doors. She couldn't make out any unfamiliar scents. Perhaps the wolves who would escort her off the property were waiting outside. The cafeteria had a door that spilled out onto the stone deck behind the pack house and maybe her escort was there.

Penn couldn't begin to understand what Alpha Troy's strategy was, but, perhaps, he didn't want to put her on her guard just yet. Maybe he hoped, this way, she'd go quietly. She had always planned to go quietly. So, he had nothing to worry himself about.

She let out a small sigh as he pushed open the cafeteria door and motioned for her to walk through ahead of him. Penn sucked in a quick breath and held it as she walked through the doorway bracing herself mentally and physically for what might be on the other side.

 She made a quick scan of the room and even let her eyes scope the grounds outside through the glass doors and windows. The backyard was lit by a number of decorative lights this time of night that would have easily exposed anyone waiting there. But, there was no one around. The cafeteria and the grounds beyond held only herself and Alpha Troy. Penn felt confused. She didn't know whether to be relieved or on her guard.