Chapter 11 (1st Draft)

* Media pic is of the meeting place.

Beta Lucas could sense a subtle change in the rogue and he looked her way. She was just taking off her back pack and setting it on the ground. Then her eyes swept over the children briefly and he thought he detected the slightest touch of sadness in her expression.

It suddenly occurred to him that she was preparing to leave and he had mixed feelings about it. Naturally, rogues were not welcome in packs, but she was definitely no ordinary rogue and these were no ordinary circumstances. He felt he should invite her to stay a while with them - at least until the children were settled. It was the very least he could offer her after she had saved his niece and nephew, and all these pups, from a brutal death at the sharp teeth and claws of Alpha Codax.

Though he hadn't talked this over with his Alpha, he was sure Troy would agree.

Looking down at his niece, he noticed she was anxiously watching the rogue. She could sense it too, that Penn was preparing to leave. He gave Cassidy's shoulder a gentle squeeze and flashed her a bright smile before turning away from her and walking over to the lone she-wolf.

When he reached Penn, he bent and picked up her pack, which he slung over his shoulder. As he straightened up he smiled and said, "Will you come and stay with us until the children are settled? I think they'd like that." With his head he gave the smallest of flicks to indicate Cassidy who was watching them both with fretful eyes.

Penn wasn't sure she'd heard Lucas right. She narrowly searched his face for something to tell her this was a joke or a trap. Only, he appeared sincere and that took her by surprise.  She hadn't expected to be on the receiving end of a friendly invite to stay longer in the territory. In fact, she was half expecting an escort right to the edge of Orthos territory at any minute.

Despite her astonishment, which she hid behind her usual stoic expression, she replied, "I would be happy to."

But, even as she said it, she was expecting someone to pipe up and say there was no way they'd take a filthy rogue into the heart of their pack. She held her breath and waited for the growling and insulting comments to come from the small group that had arrived with Beta Lucas. Though they were not part of the conversation, they were all close enough to overhear it. And Penn was sure their curiosity, if nothing else, ensured every new arrival was all ears at that moment.

But, no protest came. Instead, Penn watched Beta Lucas smile and give her a quick nod of his head suggesting it was all settled.

Penn doubted it could be so simple. Past experience told her to prepare herself for the possibility that she might find herself in some very hot water once they reached the pack village. This small team might be prepared to make allowances for her presence right then and there but a whole village of pack wolves certainly wouldn't. 

A fight was coming. It was all just a matter of when. However, truthfully, Penn felt she would risk any number of hostile wolves just to see the pups settled.

Cassidy, who'd been standing very near them trying to look inconspicuous as she listened intently to their brief conversation, suddenly sprang at Penn and wrapped her arms around her neck. She hugged Penn tightly and thanked her uncle for inviting Penn to stay with them. Penn hugged Cassidy back and leaned back after a brief moment to give the teen a little smile. Well, it was more of a mischievous grin - as if to say, 'You and I both know they don't know what they are asking for.'