Chapter 9 (1st Draft)

Penn was stunned by the obvious 180 degree change in the Master at Arms demeanour and attitude toward her. She could sense that even Mia was aware of his change of heart as she relaxed her grip around her neck. Penn eyed the other wolf but could not detect any pretense. She truly felt he was at ease now in her presence despite the fact that she was a rouge.  Though, she could not fathom the reason for the change. Especially after just giving him a death-glare over Mia.

Finding her voice after a long pause, Penn replied quietly. "My name is Penn."

"I'm Anex," he offered in a friendly tone.

Penn found it strange looking a grown wolf in the eye who wasn't suspicious of her and wasn't on the verge of ripping her throat out. Anex had soft, pale blue eyes that looked kind, maybe even fatherly, when he wasn't scowling. She wondered if she could trust him and just how far.

"Anex," she repeated aloud while giving him a curt nod. He gave her a corresponding nod and seemed to be waiting for her to go on. So, Penn decided to just come out with it. "I never went rogue," she explained evenly. "I was exiled."

Penn could see he was visibly shocked. Being exiled from one's birth-pack was a disgrace a wolf never lived down and it wasn't something one shared flippantly with a strange wolf. However, Penn managed to tell Anex in a voice devoid of feeling. So much time had passed that she no longer felt the acute shame she once did.

The feelings of self-loathing, confusion, hurt and betrayal just weren't there anymore. Ten or more years in the wilderness had put an end to the bitterness and the longing for her old life. The wilderness took all the feeling right out of a pack-wolf and replaced feelings with instincts. It turned wolves wild and the wild didn't feel much beyond, hunger, fear and the need to survive.

In fact, Penn hadn't felt much of anything for years until she met the Griffin orphans just six weeks earlier. Being with them, adjusting to pack life again because of them, watching over them and protecting them had stirred all kinds of emotions - both welcome and unwelcome - that Penn wasn't sure she was even capable of experiencing or expressing after so many years of isolation. It was strange that a person could kill feelings over time but it didn't take anything at all to revive them.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Anex let out a low whistle. Penn could see the wheels and cogs at work in his mind. Being exiled was a rare thing. It was very old fashioned and not something most packs did anymore. She saw it on his face that he was trying to work it out for himself. The list of exiled wolves was very short. She was sure he might be able to put a few of the pieces together once he knew what pack she was from.

Instead of waiting to be asked she simply offered up, "I was part of the Phoenix pack."

And just like that his eyes lit up with recognition. In that moment, she knew he knew just who she was. Penn wasn't sure how to feel about this but, for now, she just watched him process what he remembered.

She didn't have to wait long. He suddenly blurted out with conviction, "You were that 18 year old pup. Old enough to be in the games but not old enough to make it on your own without a pack," Anex declared with a touch of feeling.