chapter two

Kotori slammed the door to the house. Grumbling past his two colleagues as he made his way towards the pantry.

"Jeez, what's got your panties in a twist?"

Kotori sent a glare towards Dmitriy, who was mixing different liquids in a beaker at the stove, before pushing the light switch into the wall, exposing the door behind their canned goods.

He walked in, closing the door behind him and making his way down the stairs to the underground bunker. He taped up his hands and pulled on his boxing gloves before stepping over to the punching bag. He channeled all of his aggression into his punches and kicks, ignoring the sound of footsteps behind him.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. Would you like me to put on the mitts? You seem like you want to spar." Kotori turned towards Dmitriy and huffed.

"Yeah. That would be great. Where's–"

"He's in his little computer cave. Something about hacking into some corrupt world leader's twitter account and posting memes about terrible things they've done that will most definitely cost them a lot of votes and potentially open up an investigation."

"I'm gonna change out of this suit first. I suggest that you get out of that ridiculous lab coat too. Also, why were you working upstairs? You know that could compromise our identities." He said, walking towards the lockers.

"Look– I might have ruined my last bunsen burner in my lab, so I needed to use the stove! I'll swing by the safe house tomorrow and grab my extras. Don't worry, I made sure to close all of the curtains and lock the doors before I came upstairs with all of my chemicals." He said, hands waving in front of him in surrender.

Kotori rolled his eyes as he peeled the suit off of his body and changed into his gym shorts. Dmitriy turned to his locker and removed his lab coat.

"How did you ruin this one?" He asked, slipping on his tank top and tennis shoes.

"That's not important. What's important is that I'm closer to achieving a serum that will save so many lives. It's gonna be my best invention yet."

"When you say serum, do you mean a serum to aid KLD or a hair serum for your day job as a hairdresser? Do I have to remind you that saving hair is not the equivalent to saving lives?"

"You wound me, Akaashi. You're not usually this snarky in your civilian clothes."

Rolling his eyes, Akaashi pulled his boxing gloves back on.

"It's definitely for the salon. Kuroo said it could speed up hair growth while also promoting a healthy scalp." Akaashi looked to the left and saw Kenma sitting on the bench in his Kodzuken hoodie and red sweatpants.

"Is Lynx done shitposting on political social media accounts?" Kuroo asked, stepping out of his jeans and into a pair of gym shorts.

"Yes I am. And I believe that the secret police force is going to be pretty busy with that investigation. My VPN told them that the hack came from the middle of the Atlantic ocean." Kenma smirked, grabbing his switch from his locker and following the two men to the training area. He sat at the edge of the mat and turned on the console.

"Now, why did you take so long to get back here? I knew your exact coordinates when you told me you were heading back and it should not have taken you that long to get across town. Especially since you didn't think to put your regular clothes on top of your suit at the rendezvous point." Kenma raised an eyebrow as Akaashi threw a punch at the large round mitts in front of Kuroo's face.

Kuroo shot him a look and shook his head, but Kenma continued to stare at Akaashi for a response.

"I got in an altercation with a hero." He announced bitterly, throwing another jab at the mitt.

"It's been a while since that's happened–"

"Which one? I was under the impression that the main ones were dealing with some sort of 'thank you' gala." Kenma asked, cutting Kuroo off.

"They were. That's why we decided to commence the operation tonight. I don't know who this guy was so I'm assuming he's new. His suit was black and there were yellow markings on it. He wore a black mask over his eyes and a black hood, so I couldn't really tell what he looked like." Akaashi punched and dodged the mitt as Kuroo swiped at him.

"Did he talk much? They usually talk a lot if they're new."

Akaashi told them everything about his run in with the hero (except the part where he was called a monster). His colleagues listened as his punches grew more aggressive, eyeing each other occasionally as a silent agreement that they knew he wasn't explaining everything. They knew better than to push him though. Akaashi might not be the greatest with computers or chemicals, but he did know a thing or two about how to kill a person.

Not that he's ever done that– Akaashi worked as a nurse's assistant in a small clinic for those who couldn't afford to go to the hospital. He was close to getting his nursing license and he knew a lot about what the human body could and couldn't handle.

With a final punch, Akaashi's fist dropped to his side. He paused to catch his breath before sitting down to take his gloves off.

"You should come to the bar tomorrow. You don't have a shift at the clinic and I'll even pour you a drink on the house." Kuroo said, nudging Akaashi's foot with his.

"I don't think so. I need to look into that thrift store that's been taking the nicer donations for themselves."

"Already looked into it for you. I was able to hack into their security system and I saw the managers separating a bunch of stuff into bins. The black bins seem to be the bins they like to keep for themselves. I saw the employees going through and taking stuff out of them to take to their cars at the end of the shift."

"See! Kenma already took care of it! You should come out and have a drink with us–"

"Oh, I'm not going. I have a stream scheduled for tomorrow. I was just giving Akaashi no excuse not to go. He's been overworking and he needs a break."

Akaashi looked at the two of them before sighing.

"Fine. But make those two free drinks because I'm a broke nursing student."

"Deal!"

Author's Note: "And they were roommates!" "ohmygodtheywereroommates" 

I love kuroken in this! They were so fun to write and I'm excited to see what y'all think of their dynamics!