chapter twelve

Calming Akaashi down was not an easy feat. It took an entire hour just to get his sobs quieted down and after that, he was still crying and hiccupping in Kuroo's tight embrace.

Kenma spent fifteen minutes hugging them before getting up to grab water and put the kettle on the stove. He wasn't much for physical affection, but he showed his concern by making sure his friend didn't dehydrate.

"I was so horrible to him– he probably thinks I hate him!" Akaashi cried, sniffling as a bottle of water was thrusted into his hands.

"Akaashi, I promise we'll figure everything out, but you need to drink water before you pass out from dehydration." Kenma said, nodding towards the bottle when Akaashi let out another sniffle.

Cracking open the lid, Akaashi drank half of the bottle before setting it on the floor. His breaths became deeper and slower, a good sign that he was starting to calm down.

"I hurt him... I injured his hands– I put him in the hospital after stepping on his chest... He thought I killed people..."

"You didn't know it was him. I'm sure he knows that it wasn't you after you gave him your big speech last time." Kuroo spoke softly, rubbing circles on his back.

"And he thinks that I moved on! With you!" Akaashi hiccupped as Kenma snorted.

"Hey– Would that really be such a terrible thing for him to think?" Kuroo asked, pulling back to look at Akaashi in the face.

His eyes were red and puffy, there were wet and dry tears on his face. He looked exactly how you think someone would look after finding out that their dead boyfriend was actually alive and is actually the man that they've been fighting to the extent of hospitalization.

"Y–"

"Don't answer that question. I don't feel like having my feelings hurt when I'm supposed to be the one comforting you." Akaashi sighed and rested his head on Kuroo's shoulder, not really wanting to fight the comfort.

"He kissed me." Akaashi whispered, closing his eyes and playing that scene over in his head. He felt Kuroo freeze for a moment before letting out a small laugh.

"Cheating on me already? And here I thought we had something special." Akaashi rolled his eyes even though Kuroo couldn't see him.

"Why are you like this?" Kenma mumbled. Akaashi didn't doubt that Kenma had his face in his hands as he usually did when Kuroo said something ridiculous.

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood a bit. But if the timing is off–"

Just then, Akaashi's phone rang. He picked it up and looked at the caller ID.

"You don't have to go into work if you don't want to. I know you're technically on call on weekends, but if–"

"It's fine. I'll be fine. Let me just see what's going on." He says, getting up and walking over to sit on the couch.

"Hello?"

<<'Kaashi... Can I talk to you? In person?>>

Akaashi's eyes widened and watered as he heard Koutarou's voice. The couple eyed him warily and scrambled to sit on either side of him.

"I– Why are you calling me from the clinic?"

<<I told the officer that found me to take me here before I fully passed out... I slipped away from my room to find your information– I'm sorry for getting it this way, I just didn't know what else to do...>>

Akaashi felt more tears slip down his cheeks before Kenma stood up to grab his water bottle. He put it in his lap before taking a shaky breath.

"You should be resting... K–Dmitriy's been making the tranquilizer serum stronger recently and you'll hurt yourself if you're not being supervised."

<<I know, but I can handle it. Can I see you?>> Kenma and Kuroo gave him sharp, wary looks at the question.

"I don't– How can I be sure that you won't lead me into a trap?"

<<Li– Keiji... I know that this probably won't mean anything, but I promise that I wouldn't do that to you. I have so much to ask you and I'm sure you have just as many, if not more, questions for me. If you want, we can meet at a place of your choosing. You can even bring your boy– >> Koutarou coughed and cleared his throat, as if the word he nearly said choked him.

<<You can bring Kuroo-san if that makes you feel safer.>>

Kuroo practically beams at the thought of his acting skills working on the hero and Kenma reaches across Akaashi and smacks his knee, causing the older man to pout at him.

"Can we meet tomorrow? It's really late and I don't think either of us are fit to be going out right now..."

<<Of course! When and where do you want to meet?>>

Akaashi couldn't stop the small smile from forming on his face as he heard the familiar excitement in Bokuto's voice.

"Do you have a phone? You can text me and I'll send you a text tomorrow of where to go."

<<Okay! I'll do that right now! Oh shit, I think the nurse heard me– >>

"You better get to bed before she gets mad at you. She won't care if you're a hero or not."

<<So I've learned. Haha! I'll see you tomorrow, Keiji.>>

Akaashi hummed his response before handing up the phone.

"Please don't say anything about how stupid this is–"

"Stupid? I want to meet the guy that's made you impervious to my devilish good looks and irresistible charm."

"Kenma, your boyfriend's being–"

"I know. I'm right here. I can hear him."

Akaashi laid his head against the couch and stared at the ceiling, his eyes getting misty.

"I just can't believe that he's been alive this whole time..."

"Well– it would make sense. You had never seen his service information posted by his family and there's the chance that up until recently he's been training to be a hero and taking missions outside of this district." Kenma said, scooting in close and resting his head on Akaashi's shoulder.

"I'm nervous to see him again..."

"We'll be there for you every step of the way. You don't have to do this alone." Kuroo responded, leaning on his other side but resting his head on top of Akaashi's.

It wasn't like the first time Akaashi had been vulnerable in front of them. Tonight had opened up a new door for the three of them as roommates and friends. Akaashi had completely broken down in front of them and he didn't feel like he had to close himself off. He had allowed Kuroo and Kenma to sit with him and they let him feel his emotions and for that, he was grateful.

It didn't take long for the three of them to fall asleep, the exhaustion and high emotions from the night finally wore them down enough to not even bother going to their respective rooms.

//

Author's Note: So... ┬┴┬┴┤ω・)

This was an emotional roller coaster! :')