chapter 50: an assassination attempt

Kiba stood resolute in front of Rias, frustration etched on his features as he confronted the once-devil now working in a mundane store.

Kiba:I can't just give up, Rias. Why aren't you doing anything?

Kiba's voice resonated with an urgency fueled by his desperate quest for vengeance against Valper.

Rias, weary from the weight of her choices, sighed and offered a somber response.

Rias:Sorry, Kiba. I'm no longer a devil. At least I'm trying to make my own peace. I can't help you.

The knight's anger flared, his disappointment palpable.

Kiba:You promised me that you'd help me kill Valper!

Kiba's words reverberated with the frustration of unfulfilled expectations.

Rias managed a bitter smile, acknowledging her perceived failure.

Rias:Even though I'm not a devil, I'm still a failure. I'm sorry, Kiba. I still can't help you.

The air hung heavy with the weight of unmet promises and shattered alliances. Kiba, fueled by his sense of betrayal, grappled with the harsh reality that the once-powerful Rias was now resigned to a life devoid of her former supernatural prowess. The cosmic dance of fate had left them entangled in a web of consequences, and the echoes of their past resonated through the mundane backdrop of the store.

In the silent aftermath, each protagonist confronted their own demons - Rias reconciling with her diminished self, and Kiba grappling with the harsh truth that the path to retribution had become lonelier than he ever anticipated.

Rias, with a heavy heart and a tinge of remorse in her eyes, appealed to Kiba, hoping to dissuade him from the perilous path of revenge.

Rias:I've accepted my fate

she began, her voice carrying the weight of resignation.

Rias:I'm already making amends, even though it's little by little. Please, Kiba, give up on this revenge.

Kiba, his determination unyielding, met her gaze with a mixture of anger and determination.

Kiba:Rias, you might have accepted your fate, but I can't just let Valper get away with what he did. He took everything from me. How can I turn a blind eye to that?

Rias sighed, acknowledging the pain that echoed in Kiba's words.

Rias:I understand your anger, Kiba. I really do. Valper's actions have left scars that run deep. But revenge won't bring back what you've lost. It will only perpetuate the cycle of suffering.

Kiba's fists clenched, his frustration evident.

Kiba:Rias, you were a powerful devil. We could have faced Valper together, but now you're just... a shadow of what you were.

The former devil nodded, the truth in Kiba's words cutting through her.

Rias:I know, Kiba. I'm not the same, and I can't change that. But maybe, in embracing my new reality, I can find a way to atone for the mistakes of my past.

Kiba hesitated, torn between loyalty to his fallen comrades and the bitter reality of the present.

Kiba:Rias, I can't promise to abandon this quest for vengeance, but I also can't promise to forget what we once were.

The air in the store hung heavy with the unresolved tension between the two, a poignant reminder of the irreparable fractures that vengeance had wrought upon their once-united peerage.

The cloaked figure's words echoed in Kiba's ears as he faced the ominous choice presented to him. The dark blade, a symbol of a decision that could alter the course of his destiny, hovered menacingly in the air.