Breakdown

Metta

The Lab - December 15, 2012 - 12:21 PM

Something ached. At his core. He didn't immediately register that it was the curse. And even then, he couldn't bring himself to care. This was what he deserved. He'd have to live with it for months, he knew. Crowbar's words from his dream still rang in his ears.

I won't forget them.

He turned his head automatically towards the sound of quiet footsteps. Alphys looked... tired. Was that his fault...? She looked up at him, her eyes widening once she realized he was awake. Metta smiled nervously at her, reminded of another moment, in a different lab, months ago.

Neither of them spoke. There wasn't time, since Mistral and Rose were rushing into the room, Ellen Pines trailing behind. Mistral looked so happy to see him... awake. The feelings were overwhelming. He didn't mind. This was their reunion, after all.

"You're awake." There were tears in her eyes, but she was smiling.

"Seems I am, darling." Metta smiled back, pushing down his underlying feelings of guilt. She wouldn't like that. "Am I as glamorous as you remember...?"

Mistral giggled. "I thought you got that ego checked!"

"Mm, let's pretend I didn't." This was easier than Metta had thought it would be. Talking, existing, like nothing had happened. Except so many things had. Especially... he turned his gaze towards the others. "...Rose."

"Hey, Glittertits." Rose offered a sympathetic wince. "Yikes, huh?"

"Yikes indeed." Metta nodded. "Look, I'm sorry about everything. About..."

"I know." Rose nodded. "It's not a big deal, really. I mean, it is, but I get it."

"...You're something, Rose." Metta said softly. She just shrugged and put out a fist towards him. He weakly raised an arm to fistbump her, accepting this as just... how it was. He glanced at Alphys to see her giving him a knowing smile. He let out a silent laugh in response, looking away, slightly embarrassed.

"Um... l-let me run some diagnostics, okay...?" Alphys stepped over to the computer on the side of the room, lowering the table to be more bed and less horizontal and releasing the straps by pressing some keys. "I... gave you full repairs, but I just want to make sure everything's working as it should..."

"Sure." Metta agreed. "Just tell me if I need to do anything."

Alphys nodded and set to work, squinting thoughtfully at the monitor, tongue sticking out a little. She really was cute. Metta could vaguely feel Mistral thinking, kinda probing around in his mind a little, but he just let her do that. He was focused in on the only person in the room that hadn't spoken yet.

Ellen.

Even without the SOUL bond he had with her daughter, he could read her emotions plain as day. She was angry at him. Maybe even hated him. He understood that.

"Um..." He started. She stared at him sharply, seeing that he was looking directly at her. Her gaze was sharp. He dropped his. "I owe you an apology as well."

She didn't say anything. Her foot tapped a few times. Metta was aware of Mistral glancing between them, becoming anxious. Rose was unreadable, but Metta thought maybe she seemed interested. Ellen's silence was probably his cue to continue, so he pushed through.

"I killed your husband. And for that, I feel... terrible. I'd return him to you, but that isn't possible. He was a good man. I wish I knew him better."

"Metta, it wasn't your fault." Mistral said softly. "That wasn't you."