Tenderness, Courage, and Hope

Metta

Piedmont, California - December 25, 2012 - 4:04 PM

Lights on houses, carollers in the streets, and a general warm and fuzzy feeling in the air. Christmas had come to Piedmont. Metta was finding it difficult to get into the spirit this year. He didn't understand how anyone could. Undyne said that people probably liked the distraction. It had been the same with Christmas in the underground, apparently. A holiday happens to be a great way to forget that your entire society is sealed beneath a mountain.

Nevertheless, Metta had agreed to attend Mistral's Christmas party. Or, really, it was Ray's. Metta had been surprised to be on the guest list at all. Mistral said her dad had written up the guest list back in October, before anything had happened. He'd wanted to invite the monsters as a show of good will.

"...I don't know if I can do this." Metta admitted, standing motionless outside Mistral's home. "Her mom hates me."

"I-I'm sure that's not true..." Alphys nervously comforted him. Her words sounded hollow to Metta. "She... just needs time? I.. know what that's like, a little..."

"Alphys, be honest." Metta responded dryly. "Would you forgive me if I murdered Undyne?"

"M-Metta...!" Alphys stared at him, shocked. "How am I supposed to answer that?!"

"...my bad." Metta's shoulders slumped.

"itll be ok, metta....." Blooky floated in close to him. Metta glanced at them. "maybe we can...... keep a low profile.....? stay out of sight.......?"

"A low profile...?" Metta glanced down at his body quite literally designed to stand out. Then he looked back to Blooky. "We may need to be open to other suggestions."

"Just come in the house already!" The door was practically thrown open by an impatient-looking Mistral. Metta jumped, startled.

"M-Mistral-darling!!"

"Yep." Mistral sighed. "I could feel you worrying around out here. It's fine."

Metta bit his lip and walked into the house through the door she held open for him, feeling like he had no choice now. He didn't know what to say to her. What he'd done... it weighed on him. He still wasn't sure using his magic like that was... okay. But it was true that since then, Mistral seemed happier. She still worried about him, wanted to help him, ignored her own feelings, but she didn't even think about Metta's impending and looming doom. He'd locked that away from her completely. Chaos magic was useful, after all.

"You guys can check yourselves off on the guest list." Mistral mentioned once all three were inside. "It makes it easy to keep track of who made it, and everything. My mom's request."

Metta nodded and picked up the pen on the small table next to the guest list. He skimmed through the list, half-reading the names. He was sorta curious who was actually on the list, after all. Most of them were names he recognized.

Stanley P.

Stanford P.

Dipper P.

Mabel P.

Janus P.

Louise P.

Asgore D.

Toriel D.

Frisk D.

Sans U.

Papyrus

Undyne

Alphys S.

Mettaton B.

Napstablook