Chapter 5 Andrew Moore

I had to make sure that he snored sometimes and this was not indeed a serious health issue . I don't know why I cared so much about him already. The way he gave me a huge hug and licked all over my face when I told him I'd get him home was endearing . I found him beyond adorable but I couldn't help but feel a little envious. I've always wanted someone , anyone to just be therefor me , though it all. Like someone who looks forward to me coming back home . Or someone to celebrate with when I win awards. Someone who's just there beside me when I'm sad . He was perfect . He sat beside me quietly and stayed by my side today . 

When we were there I kinda wished I could keep him with me but even if he didn't already have a family I could not do that to him. I travel all the time . I can't offer him a fixed kennel or stuff like that . He deserves better. I laugh. Not being good enough for a dog has to be a new all time low. I get up, reach into my bag and turn my phone on . I see that there is a red alert in California . There is a flood coming soon . I need to leave immediately. I called my assistant and arranged for a helicopter . I pack my stuff, grab Buddy and drive. I didn't realize how bad the rain had gotten . The roads were filled with water that was already higher than my ankles and apparently it was only going to get worse. Driving was not easy . The rain was hard and I kept driving . Thankfully the drive wasn't long. I climbed the helicopter along with Buddy and put my duffel bag to my side .The helicopter took off and we looked out the window. The helicopter goes above the clouds . Gray clouds cover the sky below . In the patches of the clouds you could see the ruins of the city. The city was continuously filling up with mudded water . 

I close my eyes and make a silent prayer . Buddy whimpers and I hold him tighter. He leaned into me .I pulled my phone out . I had one text from my Mom asking me to keep my schedule free for the family dinner on Christmas. The family spent every Christmas together. We kept a good look on the outside. We met at family functions and Award shows . We had no issues , we just weren't close as much as a family should be. I was their trophy kid. Their prodigy . The kid who started acting as a baby. I enjoyed it but I just wish I had a chance to know what I would actually do if I had a choice. If I went exploring like others did. If I went to a school instead of being homeschooled. I distinctly remember when I asked my parents if I could go to college for writing and journalism. They made it clear that it was not an option for me. They thought that it would be a waste of time and thought I should spend more time focusing on my proper career that was acting. I had tons of toys , clothes , all the things a kid could ask for.

 But see, that's one of the funny things about life. You always want what you can not have. I sent mom a text saying I'd be there at Christmas. We had an absolute formal dinner with tons of food . I added "buy presents" to my to-do list .After an excruciating hour and a half the sky seems to be clearing up . Buddy seems way more relaxed. I now take my time to look at him . He looks better . His bandages look like they need to be replaced even though I didn't put them on him too long ago. He looks at me and smiles. 

I take one of the headphones beside me and try to put it on his ears and he scoots away. I tried again . " Come on , you'd look adorable. "He gave me a look that said, 'there is no way in hell you're gonna put that on me' . I give up. "Fine, not like I could force you anyway"

He has a triumphant look on his face that I findhilarious, like he was just happy to be able to winagainst me .I laugh and run my hand across his head . The laughterturns into an abrupt cough when my hand feels theslight ridge of a previous collar around his neck .I remember how happy he'd been when I told him thathe'd be able to meet his family again. I don't wannadisappoint him. I was sure that my team would be ableto send him back from California but then there wasthe flood and I could not leave him and now... 

Hemight not have that family anymore.He would have to go to an adoption shelter and myheart hurt at the idea of him waiting and looking out aclosed door waiting to find a home. I'll try to find hisfamily and get him back to them . I know for a fact thatI couldn't keep him with me even if I wanted to.He must have felt the shift in my energy because heleans back towards me in a comforting manner.The helicopter lands in one of the best hotels in Vegas.I take Buddy down with me and a hotel clerkwelcomes me and shows me to my room , whileanother clerk grabs my luggage and follows.