Chapter 9 Andrew Moore

Taking Zeus with me was probably not the best ideabut I couldn't help myself. I was gonna be alone rightnow and while I enjoy being alone, I do not enjoyfeeling alone. I don't even know if that makes sense.He looked all sad when she asked me to leave him hereand I was already reluctant about giving him .I checked my phone and found it blowing up. Yep, myreason for reluctance. The photographers that had seenme at the grooming center had posted a news articleabout Andrew Moore and his new pet. 

I also had 2missed calls , and a ton of texts from mom and dadwho had sent screenshots of the articles and written"call me now." .It's funny that they did not seem to remember me ormy existence when I was in a flood but as soon asthere are articles they miss me so much. I'm halfconvinced that our holiday dinners are a publicity stunttoo.Ugh, I know what their reaction to me keeping Zeusfor a few days will be and I don't have the energy forthat conversation.My phone rings again , I sigh then pick it up.

"Andy! What are you doing ? Did you get a dog?" Dadsays
'Hello to you too Dad'
 "Answer me"
'Yes and No'
"Don't try some stupid mind games , answer properly"
' I did not get a dog, I found it and I already called itsowners . I am keeping it with me till they get heresince I already got him a bunch of dog stuff'
Did I get him dog stuff ? yep. Was it why I waskeeping him? Nope. But dad does not need to knowthat.
 "Found it ? Like on the side of the road ? Have youconsidered the fact that the news is showcasing youand your little pet. This may not be good for yourreputation . Your and my reputation are connected . Doyou even think about others when you makedecisions?"
'I thought about Zeus. He was hurt and I took him inwith me . I don't see how that is bad for either of us.' 

"Really? You don't see how it affects us. You aredisgracing the family name by getting in contact withsuch dirty stray creatures. Return the dog soon. Ialready told you that getting a pet was too much work .It is just a waste of space, time and money"

 I hated the way he talked about animals that way butthis was not the time or place for an argument .Besideshe won't listen to me anyway . I take a deep breath ,press the bridge of my nose and respond through aclenched jaw when I say , ' I'll send him back'
" You better. Given how you've already named himand bought him goodies I'd say you were gettingattached to the creature."
He cuts the call and doesn't even bother with agoodbye. Whatever. My mood flips instantly after hiscall. I get back to the hotel with Zeus. Not really usedto calling him that but I'm convinced that if I call himbuddy again , he will rip my face off.I get him out and he has the note and the emptywrapper of the pack of biscuits I had left in the bag inhis mouth. He drops the two near my feet and sits onthe ground beside them and sticks his tongue out . Acrazy part of me believes he understood the stupid note. I go near the dog toys and food just delivered. Iopen a bag of dog food and give it to him.He wags his tail and chews it happily. I know peopleteach dogs tricks and I wonder if Zeus knows any.I take another chunk of dog treats and hold them overhis head and say "Sit"He sits down and I feed him. Oh my god . This is somuch fun . He understands what I am saying.
I take another and say " Twirl"He looks at me with a questioning face. I try throwinga dog toy across the room and saying "Fetch"He stays still. Okay. I put the recommended amount ofdog food in his bowl and order myself dinner.Once we were done with dinner I put him to his bedand then went to lay on mine and start a movie. Zeusjumped onto my bed almost immediately and startedlicking my face. I ask him to stop . I just washed myface and I groaned at the thought of getting up andgoing back to wash and dry my face again. As soon asI groaned Zeus stopped abruptly and looked all aroundme like he was checking to see if I was hurt.A 100 different unfamiliar emotions bloom in my chestat his worried expression. The way he cared for mewithout even knowing me filled me with awe. I ran my hand through his head , neck and fur . And said 'I'mok, Everything is fine' . He cuddles beside me and Idon't mind. I really wanted a pet and I want to spendtons of time with Zeus .We watch the movie together and Zeus looks socontent just smiling as he watches things blow up onTV. I chuckle and turn back to the TV. Halfwaythrough the movie he falls asleep . I turn the volumedown and turn on the captions. He snores softly againand I stifle a laugh since I don't wanna wake him up .He looks so adorable. I'm gonna miss him.

 My watchbeeps at 11:11 at the same time I whisper I wish Icould have you forever. I turn the alarm off and lookup to my bedroom ceiling. My heart fills up with hopeat the coincidence of my words and the time. I crushthose hopes almost as soon as they come.I decide to watch the rest of the movie later and turn infor the night.