Viktov Lives! by Chaikovskiy

Viktov Lives

by chaikovskiy

Description: 

Everyone knows Zenith, but nobody knows how the band managed to rock Zerkovkia's youth into starting a revolution... until now.

Tolya Viktov is coming of age in the 1980s to the tune of spinning records, cheap liquor, and Zerkovkia's nine year war with neighboring Blivdova. The perms and denim jackets are hip, but it's the underground music he's most excited about. By the time he enters university, his lyrics and his talent have helped him break through on the student musician scene.

Tolya, a duo of genius guitarists, and a bandless drummer soon come together when a producer realizes the key to achieving radical change in Zerkovkia is getting them to make music. What happens next is the stuff of legend and a whole lot of love, revolution, and rock and roll.

honors/awards:

2023 onc honorable mention

2023 onc round one ambassadors' pick

2023 onc shortlister

"VIKTOV LIVES!" is featured on

@music's "mighty drumset" reading list

@storiesundiscovered's "feast on fiction" reading list

Genre: Historical Fiction, New Adult

Status: Complete

Content warning: depictions of mental health (anxiety/prolonged grief disorder/attempted suicide), strong language, and alcohol/drug use.

Recommendation by CrownedMadness:

 "Viktov Lives!" is a stimulating story exploring the musical legacy of a 1980s punk-rock band that somehow spurs a revolution. But, in my opinion, at the heart of it, it is a story of passion, romance, and self-liberation. The worldbuilding of Zerkovkia is commendable, and the characters are dynamic, bouncing off each other in an enjoyable rhythm. The book left me wanting to hear Zenith's songs and hang a poster of Tolya Viktov's face on my bedroom wall. I highly recommend this to lovers of music, short books (less than 200 pages!), and character-driven stories. Give some love to this hidden gem writer!

Reommendation by Voyageavecmoi

"Vikov Lives!" captured my attention from the start with its brilliant world-building. It's a gripping novella that follows Zenith, a band who accidentally sparks a revolution in a Zerkovkia. The nuanced details, the longstanding conflict with the militia, and the way the place shaped the characters and affected them and their loved ones is so strong. It's a book with a memorable setting and a great cast of unique characters you'll remember long after reading. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories about musicians, the 1980s rock era, or historical fiction. It's a great immersive read! 

 It's a great immersive read!