Chapter 1: Jax Easton

Dedication:
To the guy
who never grows
out of loving me

"I'm sorry, Alpha, you want me to what?"

"I think I was pretty clear," he says, shaking his head.

"But, I'm not usually one to go out into the field."

"I know. I also know you don't like that. That's why I'm asking you to do this."

"And Carbon is taking my place?"

"Well, you two have worked side by side before. He knows how to do the job, and Scout and Piper are here for anything else. Because Gabby's a new mom and everything, he doesn't want to be in dangerous situations or far away in case she needs any help."

I stare at the president of Devil's Rose MC like he's lost his fucking mind.

I haven't been out in the field in years. Because the last time I was, he wasn't happy with my approach. I had no idea you could be too violent while being in an MC. I was given a job. That job was to not let Maximilliano, from our Claws Era as I call it, get into our territory.

Most of his men will no longer be going anywhere, and he hasn't shown his fucking face again, so I think I did my job perfectly. However, when Reaper was a little freaked out by my brilliant performance, I knew I was fucking in for it when it came to Alpha. I think that's on him. He should have been more clear in his directions then. That's not on me.

I did what was asked of me, nothing more and nothing less. He didn't specify how it had to be done, just that it had to happen. The rest was left up to me, and he should have known better. He knows my past, he knows what I'm capable of, and he didn't say a fucking word.

I took that as permission to do what I wanted. He should've expected it and said something. It's on him. To lock me to a fucking desk for practically two years just further tempts me to fuck shit up. They're dead. It's too late.

"Who's coming with me?" I ask, knowing it'll probably be someone to keep me under control.

"Tank, Vegas, and Bear."

I was wrong. It would be three people to keep me under control.

"It was one incident."

"You killed twenty people, Slasher. Let's not forget that."

"Okay, yeah, but-"

"But nothing. You're lucky I'm letting you out."

"I could leave."

"Where would you go?"

"Low blow. Motherfucker."

Alpha rolls his eyes and tosses the key to Tank who now stands behind me. I know I'm young. I'm twenty-eight, and I've got a lot to learn, but I don't need to be treated like a child. And Alpha has killed more than twenty people, just not at one time, which I think is what's making the difference.

They were bad guys. They were people trying to hurt others. I'm not going to apologize for doing what I've always done. Protect people who don't deserve to get hurt.

"Alright, let's go," Bear sighs.

They need to fucking like me more. I'm not a terrible guy. I'm one that's not in tune with the "everyone's life matters" thing, but I'm not horrible. I think some people deserve to die. I don't think I need to apologize for that. We've all got blood on our hands. And I'm the only one who owns up to it around here.

"So," I tease as we all get into one of the trucks, "whose partner is okay with them going to a strip club in Grove Heights?"

"Shut up, Slasher," snaps Tank.

"Especially Vegas because his relationship is quite new. I mean, you've only been married for a week."

"It's been nine months, and June never has to worry about it," Vegas replies tiredly.

"None of our partners do because we're real men, not boys who can't handle themselves," adds Bear who I know is already tired of my shit.

It sounds like they are all tired of my shit.

What I can appreciate about Carbon, Scout, Poison, and fuck, most of the Old Ladies is that they at least play along with my joking. These fucking grumps just want to get me to shut up. They are mostly like that with me because they've known me for a long time.

I am one of the only ones around here who grew up in the MC. I don't remember who, but someone else, maybe Alpha or Reaper had a connection, but I grew up here. My dad was an official member and my mom was an Old Lady.

I tried to leave. I went to college for a while, but that wasn't for me, so I returned. I've known these guys for a long fucking time. I knew them as prospects, but I was a bit too young to be part of the MC as an official member (according to my dad), so I watched them go through the whole process.

So yeah, they've been dealing with the bullshit for a long ass time, so I don't mind them being a little pissy at me. I don't deserve it but whatever.

"My fucking god, y'all, let's at least put on some music. I'm into Olivia Rodrigo, right now."

When I get ignored for the third time this car trip, I burst out in the song Driver's License, forcing them to hear me. I love being a fucking menace to society. It's my purpose in life.

They don't say anything, but I keep singing only to the radio that they eventually put on. I think they were testing to see how long I would sing, but they underestimated my abilities.

We pull into the parking lot of the specific strip club that Alpha said he wanted us to go to. He told us that Scout found some intel on Maximilliano, that he was running the club or was a frequent member (sad), and wanted us to check it out.

The police have been less than helpful when it comes to protecting Grove Heights. There are a lot of lower-income families here of all races and ethnicities, and that's been dangerous to both the innocent people inside the area and spreading out to areas surrounding Grove Heights.

Most people prefer that we find a non-violent way to put an end to some of the dangers, but without the support of the police officers and their willingness to be peaceful, it's fucking difficult.

Not everyone is okay with the Devil's Rose MC authority in Grove Heights, but if they saw that we have the support of the police and government officials, it would make our jobs of protecting people so much easier.

I'm not saying the police are good because there have been many instances where they haven't been, but they still represent something to the people in Grove Heights. They represent justice, safety, and whatever else, and that's because many people were raised on that belief.

It may not be true but stereotypes still uphold themselves. We cannot take down the entire police force, and we don't want to, because that'll make us seem worse. We honestly want to help people, but not everyone is willing to see the good that we do.

As I said, stereotypes uphold themselves. I'm part of the problem though because well, I've done some shit things. Though I don't regret them one bit.

The smell of cigarette smoke and heavy perfume fills my nose. Cue Journey.

We head into the bar area, scanning it for Maximilliano or anyone that we know associated with them. When we don't see anything, Bear, Tank, and Vegas decide to sit at the bar and continue to check out the place. But, as a single man myself, I want to get closer to the ladies. It also gives me an excuse to be closer to other men to see if I can recognize their faces.

I try not to gawk too much at the topless women, but they are all so fucking beautiful and strong. I toss a couple of dollar bills as I pass them, watching them dance on a pole. How the fuck do they do that? It's incredible. The ab muscles that pole dancing takes are insane.

I couldn't do that myself, goddamn.

And just as I go for another scan of the place, keeping an eye out for the guy we're looking for, I spot the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen in my life. Her pale skin shines under the multi-colored disco lights, her red hair fiery and bright, making her stand out against the crowd. Holy fuck. Holy fuck. Holy fuck. I have never seen anyone so fucking breathtaking.