Chapter 14: Jax Easton

"Good evening, sweet boy," Iris, or I guess Lavender, purrs seductively in my ear.

"Evening, my flower."

I'm not sure where that came from, but I guess we're going with that now.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" she asks, laying a warm hand on my chest.

"I wouldn't mind a vodka and lemonade."

"Coming right up. Get comfortable, watch a show or two."

"You don't mind?"

"I'm not possessive. Not yet anyway," she flirts.

Oh fuck. This is why men pay a shit ton of money to have a moment with her. I did it last night. I'm literally not any better than these other shitheads.

I sit down at the table near the back of the room and sip on the drink that Iris brought to me a few moments ago. I got to tuck a twenty-dollar bill near her boobs. She also gave me a lap dance for both of our fun, and I almost died from how fucking amazing she felt so that was good too. 

But now, I've let her go to see some other customers, get more tips, and then get ready for our dinner date or not date, whatever we're going with. 

I'm about to go around the building to meet her at the back door, so she doesn't have to come back through the main part of the club with her more civilian clothes on as I'm going to call them, but just as I stand, I feel a presence behind me. 

I turn my head to see Max standing behind me, a beer in hand, and a security guard standing next to him.

"You were here last night too," he declares without greeting me. I didn't expect him to.

"Yes, I was. There's nothing wrong with me enjoying the show."

"It is if you're here to keep an eye on me. Nothing I'm doing here is illegal."

"Here, no, but elsewhere maybe. But I'm not here for you. I'm here for one of your dancers."

"I know. She likes you."

"I like her."

I probably shouldn't have said that to him. I shouldn't tell him about any of my weaknesses if that's what I could call Iris, but it's too late now. There's nothing I can do about it.

"While she's here, it's my job to look after her," Max announces, not letting me go quite yet.

"I expect nothing less and I understand," because there is no reason for me not to. He's her boss, "Outside of here though, she is her own person."

"Right, of course, but I take care of my employees," he begins to threaten, his eyes narrowing.

"And I take care of people that I like," I send the threat right back.

He smirks, liking the game that we're playing. I stand up from my seat, holding his sharp gaze for another moment, before turning away to exit the club. I don't need to prove anything to him right now. I have time for that. 

I can do it when Devil's Rose takes down his entire organization in one night. There's something to be said about letting enemies win small battles to win the war overall. I can let go of my ego for a moment to let him have this one. All I need to do is beat him at the larger game.

I find Iris waiting at the backdoor for me, a duffle bag in her hand.

"You weren't waiting long were you?" I ask her, taking the bag from her hand and putting it on my shoulder.