Chapter 6: Iris Callahan

I want to know how he said that, whether he was angry or just being straightforward with it, but I don't think Darren is the one who's going to tell me that information. I may just have to fuck around and find out about this. 

And when I say "fuck around" that doesn't actually mean I'm going to fuck Slasher, I'm only using the expression because I'm traveling into unknown territory right now. Darren leaves Slasher and me alone as if he knows we need to talk about it.

"It's up to you, Lavender. I'm not gonna force you to do anything you don't want to do of course."

He says that so nonchalantly like it's nothing. For any man, it should be nothing. It's not for most of the men I spend my time around, but it should be.

"I want to leave with you."

"Alright, let's go," he says while taking my hand and pulling out his credit card.

We step out of the room together, and Darren holds out the fucking credit card reader to the man without a word. Slasher doesn't even blink as he swipes his card. I know this man has money just off of that. I knew before but not like that.

"My place or yours, Lav?"

"I'm going to be honest with you."

"Please do," he assures, climbing onto the front of his bike when I get his helmet settled on my head.

He's risking riding without a helmet for me. That's so fucking hot.

Not that I expect any less, but it's hot regardless. There's nothing wrong with admitting that.

"I haven't done this before."

"What? Sex?"

"No, I've had sex before-" I huff with a roll of my eyes "-but I haven't taken anyone home from the club or anywhere actually."

"Oh, so you haven't had sex with a stranger," he responds in a direct way.

"Yeah, so I don't know," I acknowledge, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Well, some women prefer their own beds."

"I don't care so much about that. It's more of a safety thing."

Slasher nods his head, not offended by me saying that to him.

"I'm sure me saying 'I would never hurt you' isn't that reassuring since I could be lying."

"But are you?"

"No. I haven't lied to you for a second. It's completely up to you, Lavender."

He gives me a moment to decide as he gears up the motorcycle, revving the engine.

"Let's go to yours. But people are tracking me and most of those people have guns. Also, I'm not afraid to kill you if I have to."

"If I ever hurt you, I'll give you my weapons so you can kill me yourself."

As weird as this may sound, that's actually super reassuring. That makes me feel way safer with him, and I felt safe before.

I wrap my arms around his waist, which he requested that I do to make sure I stay on the back of the motorcycle, and he takes off into the night. Grove Heights city lights are bright as we rush by them, glowing neon filling the sky of the rougher parts of the neighborhood before it changes to office lights from the skyscrapers. 

We pass by my favorite cheap places to get a late-night snack and my apartment building, neither of which I point out. I lean with him as we begin rounding the corners of the forest roads and traveling deeper into the growths of trees that are part of the Grove Heights and Westmoor terrain.