DIX-HUIT

Chapter Eighteen
Life's Always Better In Paris
✶ ✶

After shopping for a new dress and shoes to match, Emilia Taylor said goodbye to Sebastian and went home just to be greeted by absolutely no one.  After all, today was Sunday, and the house workers were allowed to leave earlier than normal weekdays.

Emilia let down the bags by the door, kicking off her heels and walking barefoot towards the upstairs living room. She threw herself onto the beige arabesque couch and opted to watch some Netflix on the flat screen TV.

She laid there for a couple of hours and settled to watch a couple of episodes of whatever series she found on her recommendations. She had been ignoring her phone for a while, and when she decided to take a look at her messages she found three texts from Kaiya, a missed called from Jeremiah, and a missed call from a name that instantly caught her eye.

She called back immediately as if pressing the call back was pure instinct. The phone didn't have to ring long, as the caller on the other end greeted her back with a cheery voice and sweet laughter Emilia hadn't heard in person since last summer.

"Em, you would not believe the day I've had, dear god I missed you, the brits here have me knackered." A deep British accent filled her ears and Emilia let out a small giggle.

"It's your fault for choosing to stay over in London." She fixed her posture on the couch, straightening her spine as she hears her longtime friend tell her off.

"Sod off, I took the liberty of taking a break from school and you tell me off like that. Stop taking the piss at me and come to my hotel so we can go out or something."

"Yeah, yeah. I promise I'll go, shit hasn't been that great here either." She sighed picking at her nails as she heard the door close from a distance.

"Brilliant! I'll send you the location and I swear to Jesus that if you aren't here in 30 minutes I'll cut a bitch open." There was a slight pause on the other end. "You'll be that bitch."

"Lovely can't wait to see you." Emilia mused as she hung up the phone. She stood up from the sofa and stretched her arms over her head, she let out a yawn before heading to her room.

She showered, and after brushing her hair she threw on a pair of light wash blue jeans matched with a small red crop top. She then chose to wear her pair of black Giuseppe Zanotti combat boots.

Emilia didn't bother putting on makeup, she just grabbed her keys and as she stepped down the spiral staircase she met eyes with her father.

Neither talked nor acknowledged each other's presence. They just passed right by each other without questioning how they were doing or where they were going.

The reason why Emilia hasn't dared make conversation with her father was that she still felt pissed. Christian ignored her because he felt ashamed.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs Emilia subconsciously touched her cheek, her throat tightened.

Right now more than ever she felt like she needed a friend. One that wasn't involved with Jeremiah. Somehow everyone she met was linked to him in one way or another.

Lucky for Emilia, this friend was different.

-

Emilia fidgeted with her fingers as she waited in front of the door, she knocked twice before the door flung open and Emilia was suddenly squished into a tight hug.