UN

Chapter One
Temporary Feelings
✶ ✶

The sky was blue, too blue. It was Monday, September 3rd and a small breeze entered through Emilia's window as she sat on her bed with a book in hand. She had been up for hours, dreading for the first day of school to arrive at her doorstep.

She sighed, waiting for her alarm to ring to at least have some motivation to get up from her bed. A white duvet that matched the entirety of her room was sprawled over her legs and she twirled a strand of her golden blonde hair between her fingers. She was reading The Messenger by Markus Zusak, it had been a favorite of her brother when he was younger, but she was just getting around to reading it after the multiple pleads he had given her throughout the years. She was currently on page 237 after starting reading it at ungodly hours of the morning.

There was a ding on her brand new cellphone, a notification bubble popped on the screen and Emilia only smiled slightly.

I know it's hard but good luck babe Xx.

She typed back a response, her manicured nails making a tapping sound as each finger pressed a letter. Emilia found the noise disrelishing, but she was willing to withstand it if it meant she would have perfect nails at all times.

The message had been sent from a long time friend of Emilia's, one that lived in London contrasting the city that Emilia lived in, which was no other than Manhattan.

They both lived similar lives, but were far away. Farther than friends as close as them should be.

She sent the message and let the phone fall by her side, she would probably have to take the book to school in order to finish it by today. She was happy with that, that way she wouldn't have to pay much attention to her surroundings.

Finally, the alarm rang, and Emilia shut it off and got herself up to take a very needed shower. The steam from the water fogged the mirrors, but Emilia just let the hot water hit her back. It didn't matter if it became sweltering for her skin, or if it left red spots on her back or legs, she was tired and needed to feel something before going to school and facing the pretentious halls of Green-Wood High. In Emilia's opinion, the halls reeked of high expectations and supercilious students.

Besides, Emilia hated the cold, whether it was coldness related to temperature or to a person. She hated feeling shivers down her spine and have her cheeks grow red from the low temperatures.

Ironically, Emilia was a cold person herself, even though that didn't use to be the case.

She finished showering, turning off the running water coming out if the showerhead and wrapped around her a 100% Egyptian cotton luxury bathrobe. The color of the white kimono blended with her fair skin, just a couple of red marks holding some contrast against the white, which was completely in par with her fully white room.

She stood in front of her bathroom mirror that resided mounded on the wall over her sink. The mirror reached the top of the high ceilings of her bathroom and due to its big size, reflected every single thing that stood in the room. Today she had opted for a quick shower instead of taking a bath in her 19th century inspired bathtub. She was sure if she just dipped one toe into the warm scented water, she wouldn't want to get out.

Her bathroom was simple yet elegant, it had a mixture of modern and older pieces that tied everything together. The only touch of contrast to the white was some black on the marble of her countertop. The countertop didn't have much over it, just the sink, a few hygiene products, and some high end perfumes over a crystal tray.

That was as much color as Emilia's room had.

In order to prepare for today's events, she simply brushed her teeth and her hair before moving on to her walk-in closet and putting on her navy blue uniform.