SIX

Chapter Six
Jealousy Doesn't Suit the Entitled
✶ ✶

The echo of heels clicking against the vinyl composition floors of the school wasn't an uncommon sound to hear at Green-Wood High, in fact, it was one of the most common sounds along with noisy chattering and the ocasional giggling of teen girls. 

It was like an unwritten rule that the female students would often follow without actually knowing why. What was most surprising about it was that even the freshmen girls would arrive on their first day of school with brand new heels or pumps of different brands and styles.

Emilia had always been known as the black sheep of the Taylor family, always breaking etiquette rules and skipping dinner parties that held extreme social importance. She would just rely on Zachary to have her back while she was off ignoring her family's wishes. So when the time came and Emilia was forced to leave her Paris boarding school to attend Green-Wood High, she disregarded the black pumps by the side of her bed her mother had chosen upon Emilia's arrival and put on some black vans.

She was the only girl in her year that wore tennis shoes for the whole semester before actually deciding to wear black pumps after a serious talk Emilia had with Reina.

To Emilia, the echo of heels clicking against the vinyl composition floors could be almost as comforting as the sound of her bedroom door closing.

So when she rushed to the cafeteria, bag in one hand and letters crumbled up in the other, she needed that echo flowing throughout her ears as she barged into the cafeteria. She needed to hear the red soles of her shoes hit the floor when she felt the eyes of everyone at the cafeteria land on her.

Last time Emilia set foot in the cafeteria was when a nasty fight went down on a Thursday morning and Emilia had to pry Aurora Whittaker from Reina Hernandez.

The fight had started when Aurora caught Reina trying to make a move on her soon to be ex boyfriend, Aurora was a calm person, but when she saw Reina sliding her hand over Aiden King's thigh, Aurora was sure to make it apparent to Reina that Aiden was taken.

An argument would soon emerge and next thing you knew Aurora was slapping Reina senseless while the self proclaimed queen bee pulled Aurora's curly dark-brown hair.  When Emilia laid eyes on the pair she tried to stop whatever tug of war they were practicing. Emilia was sent to  detention for a week with both Aurora and Reina. So everyday, for the last week of school until winter break, Emilia had to sit in what seemed to be the tiniest of rooms with two girls that wouldn't think twice about cutting up each other's throats.

It had been a shit week, that's the only way Emilia could describe it, trying to keep former friend Reina Hernandez and current friend Aurora Whittaker from killing each other. By the time lunch was over, Emilia was ready take a well deserved nap, which she couldn't do because of the next class she had.

After winter break, Emilia never bothered to step foot on the cafeteria again, instead opting for spending some alone time at the library with a daily visit from Aurora.

She walked straight to Jeremiah's table, ignoring the death glares shot her way by her peers. She sat next to Sebastian, facing Jeremiah with a scowl across her lips. She slid the papers over to Jeremiah,

Jeremiah could only smile as Augustus took out a stack of papers from his bag. They were stapled together, and there must have been at least 15 pages in the stack.

"Well, I thought you wouldn't even grace us with your company this early on." Jeremiah looked at Sebastian, a smirk on his lips, "Guess I won this time around."