Chapter Thirteen

VALENTINA
LARS

I had been stuck in my room for two days, too ashamed to see Christian's face. I only accepted when Addie and Valentino brought me snacks to fill my empty stomach.

A knock erupts from the other side of the door, and I jump as I stand from the bed. Ready to tell the person to leave me alone, I hear Mom's calm, soothing voice. "Honey, it's mama. Open for me, please." She pleads softly.

I frown, not wanting to push her away. I open the door and she smiles at me, holding a cup of tea in her hand. "Can I come in for a girl chat? If you may, of course." The smile turns to a grin when I open the door wider for her as a welcome.

She takes a seat on my bed, handing me the cup of tea after I locked the door. "Let me guess, it's about a certain man who happens to be your brother's best friend?" She narrows her eyes.

She knew me all too well. I could not hide from her, so I nodded. "I can't force you to stop. Love doesn't have limits, but I think patience is a virtue, sweetheart." She calmly says.

I sip the tea and speak. "I've waited for years, maybe he truly does see me as a blinded child."

Mama laughs gently to lighten the mood. "Honey, he's trying to put boundaries. His friendship with Damien is important. It was like this with your Papa and me, the same situation."

"Except Daddy wasn't almost ten years older than you!" I say annoyedly. Nobody gets me anymore. I just want him to be mine with no consequences.

Mama sighs. "That's the issue. You're too attached, sweetheart. You've been thinking of one goal in your whole eighteen years of living: him." She grabs the mug off my hand. I hadn't realized I had gulped it all down my throat.

"The more you ignore him, he will follow. Trust me, dear." She kisses my cheek. "Love isn't love without the chaos and the pain, it's supposed to be the most complicated feeling ever. Valentina, this is just the beginning for you." She stands up.

I want to tell her to come back, tell me more. But it was far too late because she shut the door behind her.

I just knew one thing; focus on my graduation. Christian should be out of the picture.

You're such a liar.

"I know, shut up!" I yell at myself.

__

"Happy birthday!" I jumped on Addie's bed, turning the lampswitch. She was deep in sleep, which was not a surprise since she stopped waiting for her birthday and the clock to strike twelve.

Valentino shakes her. "Wake up, birthday girl," Adeline whines, refusing to open her eyes.

"If you do not wake up I'm throwing a glass of water at you," I say.

Adeline immediately gets up, pouting. "You're eighteen, aren't you excited?!" I giggled, pulling the tangled cover off her body.

Adeline shrugs. "It's just an age, no difference."

"That's because you aren't making any difference in your life other than sitting at home all day and trying to learn new dances." Valentino rolls his eyes, placing a peck on her cheek.