CHAPTER ONE, on joining the circus

CHAPTER ONE
on joining the circus

CHAPTER ONEon joining the circus

˚₊⁎

When Juliette wakes from her dreamless sleep due to her phone ringing at an ungodly early hour, she considers swiping it off her nightstand and letting it clatter onto the floor. With the majority of the room still bathed in darkness, the slightest slither of early morning sun cut through her drawn curtains and the thought was taken into consideration the longer she let it ring. It's what she would've done if she was back in London with a telephone that could survive a little tumble, but she lays upon her childhood bed sparing the old wired phone just this once.

     She lets out a groan that muffles into the cotton lining of her pillow as she reaches over—she really should answer, but sleep just seemed so much better. Her hand slaps the handle, gripping it loosely before tugging it towards her. The cold plastic against her ear sent shivers down her spine.

     "Oui?"

     "Goooooood morning, mademoiselle!" It was a mistake answering the phone. Juliette realises it too late.

     She would have rolled her eyes if it weren't for the fatigue still weighing down her eyelids as a familiar English accent cuts through the line, far too loud and energetic for Juliette's taste.

    "Good morning, Dean." Juliette spoke in English, though in a slight murmur. She sounded like a Londoner for the most part aside from a few idiosyncrasies in the way she said certain syllables. People she has met during her time in the city take quite a liking to it, though her friends take mild annoyance in the way she would meticulously correct their accents in words like croissant and aubergine. It was, of course, all in goodwill. Juliette likes a good tease anyway.

Managing to blink her eyes open through blurry vision, she manages to scan the thin arms of her alarm clock—6 in the morning. At least it was here in St Jean d'Angely, in London on the other hand... they were an hour behind. "What could you be possibly calling about at this hour?"

"Well for one, we both start school today–"

Dean is cut off by another voice on the line, "–and how could we possibly not check in with our beloved Juliette?"

"Hi Laurie," she muses.

"Hi Juli. Forgot to mention I was on the other line—kind of waking myself up too."

"It's quite alright. And I'm doing fine if you're all wondering as the last time you two checked up on me was—" she pauses and pretends to ponder, "less than twenty-four hours ago."

She was a lot more awake now with the sleep she received from the evening prior finally giving her the energy to at least sit up upon her bed. She hopes it's enough to get her through the day.