CHAPTER ELEVEN, three's company

CHAPTER ELEVEN
three's company

(pretend this is a siamese cat)

˚₊⁎

In the end, regardless of her partner, she was determined to pass with flying colors even if it had cost her tooth and nail. Juliette just hoped she had it in her to survive the likes of working with Joseph Descamps and not end up in a washed-up penitentiary for homicide.

     She and Annick had bid each other their goodbyes just a few moments ago as the girl watched her friend ride out of town atop her bike. Annick had offered for Juliette to hop on the back of her bicycle as she only lived a few blocks away but she decided against it. After the mess of the day, Juliette wanted nothing more than to savor every second of her spare time alone, serene with her own presence despite the bitterness of the early autumn cold.

     Much to her luck, however, her alone time was cut short by none other than her lovely exposé partner. The new one, in fact, all 185 centimeters of him towered over her as his lengthy legs were quick to catch up to her much shorter ones in a few mere paces.

     "Where are you off to?"

     Juliette flickered him a look. The cool breeze catches in his brown curls and all of a sudden she doesn't know what to say. "Home," she swallowed.

     "You're not busy?"

     "No."

     "So you asked Lamaziére to work on the project together after school, but not me? Your actual partner?" He clicks his tongue against his teeth, shaking his head with it.

     "You're certainly asking a lot of questions."

     A tensed look invades Joseph's expression, his jaw flexing as he swallows a sigh.

     "Annoyed, too." Juliette adds.

     "Yeah?" He says, a bitterness seeping into his tone. "What makes you think that?"

     It confused Juliette a bit—how he was acting now, as if she was the one in the wrong for not wanting to entertain whatever move he pulled earlier today. There was no right reason for him to do so, not after how much she racked her poor brain to think of an explanation of his doing.

     "Considering you scared poor Lamaziére into switching partners with you, I thought you wouldn't even waste your time to bother working on it." Juliette professed as their steps aligned. It was the only justification that seemed plausible for her.