CHAPTER NINE, the half of it

CHAPTER NINE
the half of it

CHAPTER NINEthe half of it

˚₊⁎

"I genuinely think he's mad," Dean's voice rang through the line, "like clinically insane."

     "Is it really that outlandish for someone to be interested in me?" Laurie whines through the other.

     "Yes."

     "How?"

     "He had to have been dropped on the head as a child to fancy you, Baker."

     Laurie gasps, offense running through her. "You're being a real arsehole, you know that Dean?"

     "I'm just telling you the truth coming a friend that loves and cares about you," he state so matter-of-factly it was hard to argue.

     "Whatever! Juliette, are you going to help out me here?"

     She is shaken out of her thoughts, lucid as ever, humming as a response. Their conversation barely registered into her head as Juliette stared at her fine, hand drawn creations. She never considered herself an artist, a good one by any means. Rather her talent resulted in doodled chicken scratch all over the margins her notebook instead of doing homework like the good student she was (sue her, it's the weekend!).

     She initially planned to spend this slow Sunday morning—more like early afternoon—nice and easy as she sat on a rickety wooden stool behind the counter of the bookstore that remained empty and lifeless for the last few hours they have been open. Aside from the occasional wandering eye exploring their trades for a few moments, she mostly watched passersby and children playing up the block through the large glass window panes of the shop.

     She usually spent her weekend mornings working here. It was the only time she was really available to aid her grandfather in his extensive workload as a shop owner and a caretaker. When Èugene worked the shop, Juliette was her grandmother's main source of care but today was a little different.

     Sundays were usually the shop's busiest day but most of the traffic did not arrive until later in the afternoon when mass had concluded and stomachs were filled with lunch. By that time, Èugene would have already taken over for the rest of the day and Juliette would have been stuck with the most mundane portion of the shift. She didn't mind, however, as she tried to remain productive behind the counter, waiting for Annick to arrive in a little bit to study. However, the productivity did not last for long as she was now aimlessly drawing around the margins of her notebook and gossiping about the latest news of her best friend's current love life.