CHAPTER FIVE, tug o' war

CHAPTER FIVE
tug o' war

CHAPTER FIVEtug o' war

˚₊⁎

Because nothing good came from a night of restless thoughts of nihilism, Juliette Bellemare was a force to be reckoned with in her fatigued morning state. You had to be some kind of special to be able to cause someone to lose sleep over a ten minute phone call and she supposes the title should be rewarded to her parents.

They deserved it after all. Hell, they would be celebrating it.

And although a few rage-fueled thoughts of what the meaning of life is or if there was even a point to it was more or less an insomniac's coping mechanism, Juliette still wouldn't call herself an insomniac, per se, rather only if there was a reason to be one (see: her parents) as even then, she overthinks so much her brain quite literally loses gas and shuts down. She would not call herself a nihilist either for plaguing thoughts taught in lesson #1 of philosophy for idiots—"life is meaningless". She's sure Nietzsche would be proud of her.

A brewing storm cloud hovered over Juliette as she stomped down the streets of St Jean d'Angely. This was already her second attempt of the day trying to walk to school if she hadn't remembered five minutes into her walk that she had P.E today.

She had forgotten her uniform at home.

So cue another deranged and even more annoyed Juliette walking another five minutes back home, rummaging through her (still) unpacked boxes of clothes and knickknacks for another five minutes to add onto a total time wasted of a whopping 15 minutes.

The only good thing that came out of this morning was the fact that she listened to her gut instinct to leave a bit earlier just for this very reason. Faith was a funny and fickle thing that decided for Juliette to have the most aggravating 24-hours.

With her mind in such a deep reverie that refused to pull itself out of her mood, her lowered gaze had failed to notice the body exiting the house she was walking past. Their bodies crashed into each other with a grunt of pain emitting from both parties. Consider that to be the best way to rattle Juliette out of her thoughts as she apologises to the figure quickly.

"I'm sorry—!"

"Jesus," Descamps said, brushing the impact off his brown coat, "and I thought I was the one who was blinded."

Juliette's sudden heightened awareness was dulled back down as her expression flattens, "oh, it's just you."

He flickers her a look, "Just me? Did you already forget you were the one who bumped into me?"