CHAPTER TWELVE, match point

CHAPTER TWELVE
match point

CHAPTER TWELVEmatch point

˚₊⁎

The aching stench of petrichor, the shrill whining of whistles, the heaving breaths of exhaustion, the cacophony of shouting teenage boys paired with the beating downpour of rain, and the nippy chill of October air; it filled Juliette's senses all at once like a 100-person symphony orchestra playing the climax of their final piece.

     It has been a tight game in its entirety with the students and teachers right at each other's heels. Although Juliette was not the biggest fan of sports, she had to admit there was an energy in the air she could not shake. It filled her lungs to capacity and now she understood why spectators shouted to their hearts content. The teachers were ahead by one point now but the competition was far from over.

     Even Simone and Michéle were lulled into the energy as they sat underneath their shared umbrella next to Juliette. Their shouts merging into one shrill chorus.

     She was enjoying the game quietly beneath her own umbrella, sitting next to a restless Annick whose uneasy leg shook as if she was high off adrenaline. The adrenaline of which stemmed from her academic restlessness rather than the game at hand, her eyes darted left and right, hoping for one of the teams, literally any one of them, would hurry and score and beat the other.

     Schoolwork was piling up now, picking up at a speed in which multiple assignments were due on the same day with essays, research projects, and tests all in sequence.. Earlier today at school, Annick confided with Juliette her stresses academically. How she could not afford wasting valuable free time on stupid games of football instead of using it to complete her work.

     It worried Juliette how much Annick allowed school and work to consume her entirety. She understood the sacrifices she had to make, and yet Juliette can't help but feel there is something more than high school stresses plaguing her dear friend's mind.

     Annick huffs, her breath causing tendrils of blonde loose from her bun to float in the air. "I should be working on the project, right now."

     "I'm sure the game will be over soon," Juliette attempts to comfort her, but she stands abruptly.

     "I think I should just go."

     Juliette's gaze travels upward, "are you sure—?"

     "Yes," Annick walks away without another word, leaving the girl to her own devices as the shouts continued.

     She watched as the blonde made her way towards Pichon, his wide grin falling to a pursed line as she mutters something to him, quick and harsh. She stomps away, heels digging into the drenched grass turf. She, along with Simone and Michéle watch her trudge back into the school. Michéle excuses herself quickly as she chased after her.