CHAPTER SEVEN, a brave new world

CHAPTER SEVEN
a brave new world

CHAPTER SEVENa brave new world

˚₊⁎

It was a little treat, the perfect way to end off her night after utilizing the weekend to finally unpack her things and finally settle into her room. Juliette believes it's all in good fairness as just a few short hours ago, after she helped her grandfather close up shop and eat supper, her room in absolute mayhem. As if a tornado had blown through only the proximities of her quaint bedroom, it was safe to say she felt like a more productive version of Dorothy—one that owned a cat rather than a dog, of course.

     She laid on her stomach atop her newly made bed and the smell of freshly washed linen filled her senses. Bonbon was cuddled next to her, peacefully napping with soft feline purs that was music to Juliette's ears. In her hand was a copy of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley given to her kindly by Annick who had recently found out about her unfortunate situation.

     Juliette has been enjoying the dystopian thus far, but her mind has been preoccupied elsewhere. Usually it did not take a lot for her to be completely enamored by stories, especially of kinds strange and unnerving like Brave New World, but she has found herself constantly staring back up to her bookcase every five or so pages. Her poor bookshelf was filled to the brim with novels and series, a lot of which were carefully arranged by Juliette to use up space as efficiently as possible (she stuffed each every crevice she could find). Even with her efforts, much of which overflowed out of the bookshelf and instead found home in stacks on the floor which Bonbon has taken a liking to climbing and occasionally knocking over.

     A sigh escapes her rose-tinted lips as she flips the page, fighting the urge to admire her bookcase again as an empty slither on the second row taunts her like a little devil on her shoulder.

     That was the spot White Nights was supposed to be and all of a sudden the burning fury within her sparks again. She will get that book if it's the last thing she can do. She liked to remind herself that eventually Descamps would fess it up, because at the end of the day, it truly held no value to him. Juliette just hopes he comes to that conclusion soon.

     Juliette slaps her book shut, placing it onto her nightstand as she sits up. Her bandages were fraying again, but it's to no surprise. She did purchase the cheapest box after all not to mention she's been moving things all day. They were bound to fall off and lose its stickiness.

     Her cuts have been healing nicely throughout the week, fortunately. Though, that does not stop some of the bigger, deeper cuts from reopening again from her daily activities and anxious fiddling.

     She places new bandages on her biggest wounds before turning off her lamp and letting the darkness and the silence surround her.