Chapter 20: In the Belly of the Beast

The metallic clang of prison bars echoed in Seokjin's small cell, a constant reminder of her unjust confinement. Another day passed, another day stolen from her life by a web of lies and fabricated evidence. Outside, the world moved on, oblivious to the injustice unfolding within the cold walls of this concrete tomb.

Seokjin sat on her cot, staring at the chipped tray of lukewarm food. Even the meager sustenance served as a cruel mockery—a daily reminder of her freedom ripped away. A bitter sigh escaped her lips, a whisper of frustration swallowed by the silent walls.

Suddenly, a harsh guffaw shattered the stillness. "Look at the princess playing innocent," sneered a hulking figure, her voice laced with malice. It was Min-ji, the notorious queen bee of the prison yard, relishing her position of power over the weaker inmates.

With a swift shove, Min-ji knocked the tray from Seokjin's hands, the watery stew splattering onto the floor. Laughter erupted from her cronies, a chorus of cruel amusement echoing through the cramped cell.

But Seokjin stood tall, her chin lifted in defiance. The pain of betrayal, the suffocating weight of injustice, fueled a silent fire within her. Tears pricked her eyes, but she refused to let them fall, refusing to give Min-ji the satisfaction of witnessing her weakness.

Instead, she bent down, scooped up the spilled food with bare hands, and brought it to her lips. Each bite was a silent protest, a declaration of her unyielding spirit. Her eyes met Min-ji's, a spark of defiance dancing in their depths.

The laughter faltered, replaced by a flicker of surprise. Min-ji, used to bullying and cowed submission, stumbled before this quiet strength. For a moment, the power dynamic shifted, the predator momentarily unsure of its prey.

Then, with a snarl, Min-ji lunged, her large hand aiming for Seokjin's shirt. But before she could make contact, a shrill whistle pierced the air. A guard, alerted by the commotion, rushed in, separating the two with practiced ease.

"Both of you to the correction cell!" he barked, his voice leaving no room for argument.

The journey to the isolation cell was a blur. Seokjin felt the sting of cold concrete against her skin, the oppressive silence a stark contrast to the earlier chaos. Yet, amidst the gloom, a faint ember of hope flickered. Min-ji's hesitation, her momentary unease, was a small victory. It whispered of doubt, of cracks in the facade of her supposed power.

Seokjin sank onto the hard cot, the sting of hunger gnawing at her stomach. But the physical discomfort paled in comparison to the fire burning within her. This injustice, this cruel hand of fate, wouldn't break her. It would only fuel her resolve to fight, to prove her innocence, to emerge from the belly of the beast stronger and more defiant than ever.

The harsh clang of the cell door closing behind Seokjin was a cruel punctuation to the night. Min-ji, her tormentor, walked free, her laughter echoing down the hallway as Seokjin began her solitary task - scrubbing the grimy floor of the vast prison corridor.

Her muscles ached, protesting every stroke of the mop. Hunger gnawed at her stomach, a constant reminder of the meager evening meal she had to sacrifice to Min-ji's cruelty. Yet, Seokjin pushed on, fueled by a stubborn defiance that refused to be extinguished.

The rising sun found her weary but unbroken. The warden's call to his office, however, brought a new wave of uncertainty. What fresh punishment awaited her?

Suddenly, the kitchen door swung open, a frantic cook bursting into the warden's office. "Warden! We're out of chili and pepper powder! The food is bland! And all we have are tofu and leftover vegetables!"