Chapter One

Working alongside the Avengers has never been easy, particularly for Agent Grant. She always felt like an outsider. Yes, everyone had their quirks, their own stories, their dark secrets the world has yet to uncover.

Not Agent Grant though, everyone knows her life, what she's done. How she ended up here. The world frowned upon it, how dare there be an Avenger with this much blood in her ledger.

Because of this, the Avengers kept their distance, they didn't want their pasts getting out there also, despite those with similar pasts, Natasha Romanoff being one of those of course, she was there the whole time.

She worked along side Agent Grant in the Widow program, they were part of a family once, briefly of course. Along side Yelena Belova. But they eventually parted ways and reconnected in New York, not exactly the reunion Agent Grant was hoping for, now that Natasha knew what she had done between their last interaction.

With all this tension in the Avengers tower, Agent Grant kept her distance, making new Avengers curious about her broodiness, why she distanced herself so much.

"Grant, stop being a party pooper and join us for a game of pool", Sam Wilson called out. Distracting her from her trance.

The Avengers gathered around the lounge in the Avengers tower after a long mission.

"Exactly Lady Y/N, who wouldn't want to use a stick to hit a ball into a hole, and shout 'touchdown!'". Added Thor

Sam shook his head, "Thor I've explained dozens of times, that's not how this works"

Ignoring Sam, "Please Lady Y/N".

Y/N shook her head, stood up from her chair and walked out the room.

"I told you it wouldn't work", Tony shouted over from the bar.

"Maybe it would have been if you guys weren't so harsh on her", Sam replied.

"We're not being harsh, Sam. Simply keeping ourselves a safe distance from her", Clint replied.

"A safe distance?", Sam raised his eyebrow. "How does that exactly work, being apart of a team and all?"

"We keep a healthy work relationship with her, just not a personal one", Natasha replied.

"I just don't understand", Sam replied.

"One day you will, just give it some time." Steve joined into the conversation.

-

Y/N wandered into her room, sitting on her bed. She sighed and rubbed her shoulder where it ached from today's mission. Being thrown accidentally by the Hulk mid running can do some slight damage. Not too much for Y/N's case, but enough for some aching.

"Hey." a voice appeared at her door.

"What have I said about knocking", Y/N replied.

"That it makes an excellent noise", the voice responded with a chuckle. Sitting beside her. They noticed her rubbing her shoulder, "Bruce get you that bad?"

Y/N shook her head, "No, just lifted too much this morning during training.", she lied.

"What have I said about lying, everyone is allowed to hurt sometimes.", they replied.

"Well, I took that in as much as you've taken in my statement about knocking on my door.", Y/N responded.

"Y/N... you can't keep shutting me out, I'm not like the others."

She looked away. "It's just easier that way."

"Sounds very lonely"

"I'm used to it". Y/N replied.