Chapter Five

Y/N stormed into her room. How dare Bucky get away with something she had been trying to accomplish the entire time she's been with the Avengers.

She face planted into her pillows and groaned, exhausted from the day and it was only 11 AM.

The was a slight tap at the door, Y/N ignored it. Then it happened again.

"What?", she shouted.

The door creeked as it opened.

"Everything alright in here?"

Y/N looked up to see Natasha in the doorway.

"Since when do you care?", Y/N snarled, turning on her side facing away from the door where Natasha stood.

"I've always cared Y/N"

"You have a funny way of showing it.", she scoffed.

"That's not fair.", Natasha said defensively.

Y/N bolted up from her bed and turned to Natasha. "That's not fair? I'll tell you what's not fair."

Natasha screwed her eyebrows together.

"Being treated completely different in this tower, being frowned upon in public, is not fair. I'm not one of the hero's little kids dream about becoming. I'm a monster and everyone will always see me as that. No one cares that I've had zero control of my life, my actions in which have led me here, its all irrelevant."

"Y/N it's not like that.", Natasha said quietly, tearing up slightly.

Y/N walked around the bed and stood right in front of Natasha, leaving a small gap.

"Then tell me why the fuck, you've all been treating me like the enemy. Tell me why you don't treat me like we did when we were kids. We were best friends Natasha." A tear slipped from Y/Ns eyes. "We were family, our time in Ohio was an escape, a piece of freedom. Who knew that would have been the last time I was free."

"Y/N...", Natasha whispered.

"Get out.", Y/N demanded, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Please..."

"Get out!", she yelled.

Natasha made eye contact and ran out.

Y/N collapsed to the floor, tears constantly falling from her eyes, it had been so long since she let her emotions leave her thoughts.

-

Natasha ran through the lounge, leading to the balcony.

"Woah woah woah.", Steve called out. He was reading over some files while everyone was out on missions.

Natasha stopped, facing away from Steve.

"What's going on?", Steve asked.

Natasha shook her head, "Nothing"

Steve stood up, "turn around"

Natasha slowly turned to face him, tears in her eyes.

He screwed his eyebrows together, "What's wrong?"

"We were", Natasha said.

"What do you mean?"

"With Y/N. We've been treating her like crap the past year, forgetting that she's human. She's spent her entire life being controlled and now that she's free, were penalising her for it." Natasha sighed, "We thought we had been fixing our mistakes, but in reality, we're still making them."

Steve smiled, "Finally."

"Huh?", Natasha was confused.

"I've never faulted Y/N but I've never stopped anyone either, but I'm glad people are starting to open their eyes, why do you think I brought Buck here?"

"He's been through the same thing, it might bring her out her shell more.", Natasha smiled slightly.

Steve nodded.

"But aren't you concerned about them arguing, almost killing eachother. Fury said they didn't have a very good first mission."

"Well, from what I heard. They spoke, they've joked with eachother, that's more than what she's done with most of us. Their personalities are scarily similar, I think they're going to be just fine.", Steve replied.

"It would be nice to see her have a friend, that she'll actually want to talk to." Natasha said.

"I think it would be good if she also had that friendship with you, you have a history.", Steve lent against the table next to Natasha.

Natasha crossed her arms. "She'll never let me in"

"I think you underestimate her, which is the problem we're trying to avoid."

Nat sighed, "Good point, I'll keep trying."

"Good, and also make sure she doesn't kill Barnes.", Steve joked.

Natasha laughed, "Now that's a fight I'd love to see."

-

"You're an ass you know that right", Y/N yelled as she walked into the gym, Bucky was working out.

"Pleasure as always Grant." Bucky said while putting down the weights.

He turned to look at her, this revealed his metal arm unintentionally. Although Y/N had met the winter soldier a few times, she always forgot about the arm. She stared at it for a little too long, noticing the red Hydra star on his shoulder. The star was covered in scratches, in an attempt to remove the evidence.

Bucky definitely noticed her staring.

"Who knew the arm would get you to shut up.", he joked.

Y/N shook her head, "I forgot you had one"

"I prefer to cover it up", he replied quite sheepishly.

"Nothings wrong with it, it just caught me off guard.", she quickly assured him, noticing his reaction.

He leant over to grab a towel, "there's plenty wrong with it, but don't worry, I know what you mean.", he gave her a small reassuring smile.

"Uh, anyway I came here for a reason.", she said, realising she didn't come to stare at his metal arm.

He cross his arms and stared at her, preparing for her attitude. "I'm an ass?"

"Oh right yes, I can't believe Fury went for your idea.", she frowned.

"Yes, and after you stormed out, we discussed more on how to further our mission."

"Our mission? You just hijacked it and took over", she crossed her arms.

"I didn't.", he protested.

"You didn't include me on any of your plans, listened to any ideas I had, so you're on your own with this one."

"Scarlett come on.", he started.

"James", she groaned.

Causing him to groan in frustration, "stop calling me that"

"Stop calling me by my middle name then. You know what, Fury had the worst idea to put us together, I'll see if he can swap me with someone else."

Before Bucky could say anything else, she stormed out.