Chapter 18

Val's POV

The last way I was expecting to end our first official week of dating is to find out that her ex is going to be crashing at her place for a little while with a baby.

I mean...what the fuck?

I groan as I step out of my car into the chilly morning air, dreading the rest of my day.

The whole way here I could see myself bursting through the door and catching her and that European slut all over eachother in the kitchen completely dismissing me from her life.

No. That sounds crazy.

Why would she call and tell me she was there if that was the case?

I still don't like whatever is going on but, the way she sounded on the phone felt like she needed me to be here.

I don't know everything about the history between these two but it can't be easy for her.

No matter how much of an ass she can be, she's too much of a softy to leave a mother and child on the street.

Even if it's your ghosting ass ex.

I pull out my key and take a deep breath before stepping into the warm apartment.

The smell of sausage and pancakes hit me like a wave of comfort and for a moment, I forget about the stress of this whole ordeal.

I peek into the kitchen expecting to see Drew cooking  in there, but the moment I see that auburn hair cascading down a robe, my blood starts to boil.

Before I can fix my face, she turns to face me and squints her eyes for a second before recognition flashes across her features.

"Oh! Miss Sanchez? Nice to see you this fine morning. Did you let yourself in?"

I nod my head, setting my keys and purse on the counter.

"Yes well, I received a very distressed call from my girlfriend last night so I came to make sure she was alright."

Her eyes perk up and she leans against the counter, sausage sizzling in the pan beside her.

"Girlfriend? I thought you two were only colleagues?"

I shake my head and grab a piece of meat that's done off of a plate and examine it as if I'm gauging whether it's safe to eat or not.

"Oh honey, I don't think colleagues do the things we have."

A slight chuckle escapes my lips and I see her sweet face crack for only a moment.

The tension between us is thick.

I trust Drew, of course, but the fact that this woman who I know used to be such an important piece of her life is standing here cooking her food isn't sitting well with me.

She knows her likes, her dislikes, the small details that others would miss.

Even though they've been apart, the love in eachothers eyes when they're near is still there.

Honestly, when they're together, I feel like the other woman.

Stepping in and tainting the pretty picture they have with eachother.

Most people would probably back off, but not me.

She had her chance to have Drew to herself and gave it up.

Now the thought of us being together is eating her up, and I'm loving every second of it.

"Interesting. I'll do my best not to impose." She claps her hands together and turns back to the food, catching it right before it started to burn.

I nod my head and make my way towards Drew's bedroom before I catch a frying pan to the face.

"Don't let your mask slip too far darling."

I hear a pan clatter behind me and smile.

She can only keep that sweet girl act going for so much longer.

When I get a little closer, I can hear Drew's voice coming from her room.

I quiet my steps and peek my head inside, melting at the sight before me.

Theres drew, leaning over a giggling baby that's laying on the bed as she tries to get him dressed in a onesie.

"You're so silly! You gotta put on some clothes mister man. Hold still!"

A warm smile spreads across my face as I watch the two interact.

Part of me is happy that she gets to experience this but another part of me knows that I can never give her this life.

Would that end things for us?

The fact that I can never give her children no matter how much I want to?

She scoops him up when she finally get his clothes secured and smiles when our eyes meet.

"Oh hello! I didn't realize you were here."

I give her a smile and she walks over to me, placing a soft kiss on my lips.

Most would take it as a simple gesture, but I've been craving her for days.

The contact between our lips sent a wave through my body and all of my worries were put to rest.

"I figured I'd stop by to see how things are going. Who's this little guy?"

I turn my attention to the handsome baby boy in her arms and he smiles at me as his head rests on Drew's shoulder.

"This is Gabriel. He's Sabrina's son."

My eyes fill with worry for a moment when I hear this.

I know how things ended with them so for Sabrina to show up with her child must have been hard on her.

"Honey..are you okay?"

She nods, giving me a weak smile.

"We're still friends. I'm happy for her,but I don't think she's happy for herself. I mean, she loves him, don't get me wrong, but she's not...mommy material if you know what I mean."

I nod and give Gabriel's foot a little squeeze and making him squeal in delight.

He's such a cutie. I hate that he's caught in the middle of all of this but what can we really do?