Chapter 19

Val's POV

I take a step back so that Drew and Gabriel can head to the kitchen first and then follow behind them.

When we get there, Drew hands him over to Sabrina so that she can feed him while we get our plates and gather at the table.

The whole meal, I have that same feeling again.

As if I'm intruding on their life.

Gabriel spits up a little and Drew springs from her seat to grab a towel.

The scene that happens next really isn't my best moment but, I was angry.

"Oh man, hold on. Let me get something."

Sabrina smiles and shakes her head as she watches Drew rummage through a drawer.

"Darling, his bag is on the couch. There are plenty of towels in there."

Drew nods and goes over to the bag and quickly finds one.

"Darling? Seriously?"

She cocks an eyebrow at me as Drew hands her a towel and takes her seat again.

"Problem Valentine?"

I grit my teeth.

"First, it's Valentina." I say, pronouncing it with the accent.

"Secondly, don't call her darling. You had your chance but she's mine now so I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from using the pet names.

She chuckles a little and I can see Drew almost shrink into her seat as the two of us glare daggers into one another.

"Sweetie, I'm English. I call everyone darling and dear but if it bothers you so much, I suppose I could try. Me and Drew are still friends you know. We don't necessarily hate one another."

Drew chuckles but quickly stops and squeaks a little as my nails latch onto her thigh.

"Well I'm not saying you two can't be friends. Just know your place."

Drew's eyes widen and Sabrina smiles as she lifts her cup of tea up to her lips.

"Not a problem, dear."

Once we've all finally had our fill, Gabriel reaches for Drew and begins to fuss.

"Hey man, you can't start begging for me in front of your mom. She might get jealous."

Sabrina shakes her head and hands him to Drew who scoops him up and carries him off into the living room making him giggle with her antics.

I start clearing the table and find myself smiling at the joy coming from the child.

"She really is so good with him. I had no idea what I was doing but she took to him so naturally."

We watch as she sits on the couch with him and he lays on her chest while she sets up her video game.

"Yes she is strangely good at that. I didn't think I'd ever see her so gentle."

This makes her laugh. It's actually a kind of sad laugh.

As if she's remembering something that once brought her joy but is painful now.

"Oh then you must not have been around her very long. Sure, Drew can be a bit harsh at times and seem intimidating to others but, she is probably the most gentle soul you'll ever meet aside from Gabe."

I watch her features soften as she leans against the wall.

Her mind wandering to a different time.

I may not like her, but I do understand how she's feeling.

It's the same way I felt when me and Drew parted.

There's still love there, I know it. But for some reason, she chose to stay away from it.

Thank god she did.

If not, that silly girl in there wouldn't have found me.

"Don't worry about me dear. We've thoroughly discussed our fate and, although painful, our time is done. I'm not trying to meddle in anything between you two I just, I needed my friend. She's always wanted children and I never did so, I was sure she would be able to help, or at least try."

I nod my head and lean against the wall opposite of her.

"Thank you for clearing that up. I'm sorry for coming at you like that it's just, I never expected to find her. Now that I have, I'm afraid I'll mess things up of she'll find someone better and leave."

She gives me a warm smile and shakes her head.

"You don't have to worry dear. She's all yours."

I smile at that and look over at Drew as she squeals and rushes over to us.

"He's trying to say Dede! It's not really Drew but it's kinda close!"

We both laugh at how cute she is and I kiss her cheek.

For the rest of the day, we all played with the Gabe and lazed around, ending the night with a movie on the couch.

Drew falls asleep with Gabe curled up on her chest and we just don't have the heart to move them.

Sabrina checks her phone and sighs at the message she receives.

"I have to go meet up with my agent for a bit. Do you think she would mind?"

She whispers, gently running her fingers through Gabe's hair.

I shake my head and wave her off.

"Go take care of things. I'll let her know where you've gone."

She nods gratefully and when the door closes, I sigh leaning over the back of the couch, thinking about our future.

I was told years ago that I would never have children.

I was fine with it. Less mouths to feed and more freedom for me.

The only goal I set for myself was to become successful and build my life up, but seeing how happy Drew is right now is making me question, well everything.

Would she be happy with just me?

I sigh and walk around the couch to grab my phone, when Drew suddenly wakes up and wraps an arm around my waist.

"Hey,You leaving?"

I shake my head and softly kiss the top of her head before crawling next to her on the couch.

She adjusts so that I can lay my head on her shoulder and gently rubs her fingers on my lower back.

Honestly, I don't think I can ever leave.