Falling apart - Part 10

Tuesday 4th October 1994, 11:25am edge of the forbidden forest.

It had been 3 days and Pansy still hadn't spoken to Blaise. Currently, they were in Care of Magical Creatures, Theo and Blaise were working together whilst Pansy and Katie did. Hagrid had set them the task of gaining a unicorns trust and feeding them. It was a very difficult task, especially if you weren't quiet.

"Pansy you should talk to him about it"
Katie whispered to Pansy as she watched the unicorns begin to walk out of the forest.

"No. There's nothing to say" Pansy said coldly as she shook her hair over her shoulder.

"Pansy, from what he said they weren't actually together" Katie explained to Pansy in a whisper as she carefully held out the lettuce leaves Hagrid had given them. Pansy didn't say anything, she simply held the lettuce out towards the unicorns, being gently with the way she looked at them.
Pansy didn't care for the story or excuses at the moment, Blaise had never kept something from her before. Let alone something this big and it hurt. Her feelings were hurt and she needed time away. She knew it couldn't be easy for Blaise either but all this pressure to hear him out what eating her up.

Both Katie and Pansy held out their lettuce and managed to attract the attention of a couple unicorns. As they neared closer, Pansy and Katie got incredibly still. One wrong move and they'd mess the whole thing up. They were careful, keeping their arms steady as the unicorns approached them finally. They could hear Hagrid whispering in excitement from a few feet behind them.

Just as the unicorns reached them, they sniffed the lettuce cautiously before each nibbling a piece at the end. Katie and Pansy slowly darted their eyes to look at each other. They had done it!

They had completed the task of gaining a unicorns trust. Hagrid approached slowly, reaching his hand out and patting each of the unicorns. Whilst they didn't seem complete happy, they didn't seem unhappy either. Hagrid whispered to both Pansy and Katie that they should step forward and attempt to stroke them.
Pansy was all onboard with the idea having always wanted to own a unicorn, this was the next best thing. She carefully lifted her foot, planting it slightly forward. The ground beneath her crunching slightly from the twigs and leaves. The unicorn looked at her feet, yet didn't run. It continued to eat the lettuce she held, then Pansy moved her other foot causing the same chain of events to happen again. She was able to reach out for the unicorn now, yet she had to be careful. Gently, Pansy raised her other hand up, keeping it in the unicorns view as to not startle it. As she raised it, the unicorn watched her whilst continuing to eat the lettuce.

"Easy now, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you" Pansy whispered gently to the unicorn, whether they could understand her or not she didn't know but she hoped it helped ease them regardless. As she raised her arm, Katie began taking the first steps of moving her feet to be closer to her unicorn. Pansy was so close, she carefully lowered her hand towards the unicorns head avoiding it's horn.

As her hand came into contact with the unicorn, it seemed to pause for a moment. Pansy slowly stroked her hand down along the unicorns nose, the unicorn didn't seem afraid which to Pansy was a good sign.
"It's okay, i'm not going to hurt you" Pansy repeated softly as she continued to stroke the unicorn down and along it's nose. By the point Katie has just made contact with her unicorn. Both unicorns were happily nibbling the lettuce held out to them whilst Katie and Pansy stroked them softly.

They could hear Hagrid whispering in glee behind them, which made Katie and Pansy exchange looks of pride. They remained with the unicorns til all the lettuce was eaten, this was when they slowly removed their hands from the unicorns bodies. They had both completed the task for the lesson, there was nothing else to do. Pansy linked arms with Katie and began to walk towards Hagrid in the centre of the class.