Chapter 5

Moon:0

Longkit: 4 moons old.

"Speaking"

"Thought"

"Emphasizing or yelling"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(No one's 3rd POV)

Rainclan was the clan that struggled with leafbare the most.

As you would expect from a clan where the main source of food comes from the river, it was very hard to gain any food during this time. While a majority of Sunclan's prey could still be found in the plains, the prey of Rainclan cats was hidden under a layer of ice, sometimes thick sometimes thin. Some cats would even try to break the ice so that way they could hunt the fish underneath the broken ice,but this is a risky move as the ice could break more than expected and a cat could be drowned in the currents. 

Still in leafbare, as long as their would be prey, cats would do anything, do feed their clan, but mostly themselves.

Inside the Rainclan nursery was littermates, Dovepelt and Nightleaf who were both expecting kits, who were sitting near the entrance. Both of them eagerly talk about what they think their future kits will look like and what their names will be. 

While in the back of the nursery was a ginger-furred she-cat named Coralheart, who had her eyes on her playing kits, more specifally on her gray tabby she-kit, Crystalkit.

Crystalkit is one out of the three kits born in her litter, with the other two being toms, her brothers, Longkit and Wavekit.

All three of them were chasing each other playing a game of tag. Crystalkit was chasing Longkit who was looking behind him trying to see how much distance he had between him and his sister. Though due to his attention being on what was behind him and not in front of him, he didn't see the small root sticking out of the ground of the nursery. Just before Wavekit could warn him about the root however, it was too late as he had already tripped over the root.

This caused him to face-plant right into the dirt while his sister who was right behind him, bummed into him causing her to fall onto her tail. "Oof" Crystalkit said when she fell.

Coralheart perked up immediately walking over to the kits. Picking up Crystalkit and curling herself around the kit, licking her forehead, as Crystalkit squirmed in her mother's hold, trying to get out of it.

Longkit picked himself from off the ground, frowning at his aching ankle till he felt something wet dripping from his nose. Bringing his paw to his nose, he jolted in shock to see his paws covered in some red liquid. 

"Mama! Longkit is bleeding!" Wavekit yowled. Coralheart just looked at him with a look of disgust, showing no sign of concern for him as much as she was for his sister.

"It's just a bit of blood it's not that bad, and if you were paying attention then this wouldn't  have happened." Coralheart snarled. 

Crystalkit looked up at her mother as she frowned, seeing that it was clear that her mother was  not as worried for him as she was for her. Nightleaf who was listening to the conversation frowned as well as it was clear that Coralheart didn't care for her kits equally.

The black furred queen stumbled a bit as she got onto her paws and walked over to the two tom-kits. She kneeled down to look at Longkit as she noticed his injury.

"Well a bit of blood, could lead to an infection or worse if not treated."She said as she grabbed Longkit by the scruff, glaring at Coralheart in the process, for only caring about one of her kits. The ginger she-cat just returned the glare with a snarl.

Holding the tiny ginger and white by the scruff, Nightleaf walked into the medicine cat den and was immeditaly greeted with the pungent smell of herbs. Longkit wrinkled his nose at the strong stench, one of the reasons he never wants to be medicine cat.

Frogfoot, the younger medicine cat who was busy mumbling to herself and sorting herbs was too busy to even notice them until Nightleaf cleared her throat.

The black furred medicine cat perked up as she turned around. "Ah, Nightleaf how are you? Do you need anything? Are your kits doing okay?" Frogfoot questioned as she pushed the herbs to the side.

Nightleaf then gently sets Longkit on the ground. "I'm fine, thank you for asking and the kits are doing just fine." She said as her tail grazed her swollen flank. "However, my concern is for this little one right here." Nightleaf nudged Longkit towards the black and white medicine cat. "I think he might've broken something in his nose."

Frogfoot looked down at the tom-kits nose seeing the dried blood on it. "I see." she said  as she went into the herb store.

Nightleaf looked around the medicine cat den only to see that it was only the three in the den. "Where's Silentgaze?" she asked, not seeing the gray she-cat around.

"She went to try and gather more coltsfoot, since we used the rest of it to cure Thornpelt. Hopefully she finds some more to last us till the end of this leafbare, just in case someone else gets sick." Frogfoot said as she grabbed a soaked mossball. 

Walking back over to Longkit she gently pressed it against his nose. Longkit jolted at the freezing feeling of the moss. "Cold!" he shrieked. 

Frogfoot just chuckled. "I know. I know. But this will clean the excess blood along with relieving your nose so that way it will stop bleeding."

Once all the blood was cleaned off Frogfoot put the moss away and walked back over to them. "Does anything else hurt?" she asked.

"My ankle sort of hurts." he said showing her the ankle he ended up tripping with. Frogfoot nodded as she went back into the herb store and pulled out a few leaves and began chewing on them. 

Longkit was confused on what she was doing until she spat the leaves back out into her paws revealing a green goo, she placed the goo on the area in which the sprain was and spread it around the area.

"There we go, just keep that on for a while and stay off of that leg and you'll be fine." Frogfoot said once she finished. Longkit looked down at the green make-shift cast. It was slightly itchy, but he knew that scratching it wouldn't make things better so he resisted.

"That's great! Thanks Frogfoot!" Nightleaf said, picking Longkit up by the scruff.

"I'm just doing my job, Nightleaf." Frogfoot replied with a smile.

Nightleaf returned the smile before heading back to the nursery. Both Crystalkit and Wavekit were playing with each while Dovepelt was watching them. While Coralheart was sleeping in her nest, her back facing the entrance.

Nightleaf looked at Coralheart with a scowl and placed Longkit down in her nest and wrapped her tail around him.  

Longkit looked at his mother, and frowned. Was she really not concerned for him, not even a little? Did she really only care for Crystalkit? Would she have acted the same way if it was Wavekit, or even Crystalkit?  Looking down at the ground he could feel tears welling up in his eyes.

...Did she care for him at all?

Sensing Longkit's sadness Nightleaf gave him a small lick on his forehead. Longkit looked up at the black furred queen.

"Don't worry about it too much okay? Just get some sleep." Nightleaf said.  

Longkit nodded and snuggled closer to the queen, trying to take in her warmth.

Maybe his mom will finally respect him once he becomes an apprentice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1245 words for chapter 5)