Chapter 6 : Study Camp

The morning sunlight began to trickle in through the openings in the curtains. My face was overheating in the places where the sunlight fell directly on it. It's Monday morning and I've packed my stuff in my colossal camping backpack. Everything is all set.

I walked down the stairs, ready to devour the breakfast. My dad embarks on a delightful culinary adventure by serving an astounding meal. He handed me a pan with various seafood on it. It's 'Seafood Paella', a traditional dish from Spain. It was a stunning sight, considering my dad isn't able to cook, especially a foreign dish.

"Dad, you made this by yourself?".

"Yes, now have a seat, Boboiboy".

"But how can you, I mean you can't coo-"

"Shhhh.. Shhh..". *Dad covering my mouth with his finger.

"Everyone could learn. Ever since your mom left us, I spent my spare time learning how to cook. I want you to feel the warmth of this family. This is the least I can do for you".

I'm touched by his word, my eyes are glazed, but I'm trying to hold back my tears. I took my first bite and it's so appetizing.

"How was it? Does it taste good?".

I nodded my head, to tell him that it tasted good. I couldn't say a word, my lips were sealed. I think I would cry if I opened my mouth.

We finished our breakfast, I put my backpack in the car. Dad drove me to school. It took us a few minutes to get in there, but we managed to come in time.

I get out of the car, carrying this huge backpack. Dad opens his window and strokes my head.

"Take care, son. don't ever split from your group." Dad advised.

*Giggles "Of course Dad, don't worry".

Dad closed the window and slowly turned around his car. His car slowly moved away from my sight. I entered my school and saw so many people already gathered in the field. There are also a dozen of bus parked in the parking lot, looks like we are going to ride that bus into the study camp.

I stepped my shoes into the grass field, and the scent of the sunlight stings into my nose. Grasshoppers bounce toward me every time I move my feet. The fields are overfilled by the students, it's so hard to find my group. So I opened my phone and talked in the group chat. Yaya actively responded to my message. She said they're on the left side of the field. Finally, I managed to notice them.

"Hi guys! How's everything?". I asked them.

"Don't worry Boboiboy. Master Gopal already managed them". Gopal jokes around.

"But Fang hasn't come yet. Does he really come to the study camp?". Ying wondering.

"He probably come, just wait for a bit longer. The study camp is crucial for our grades, it's an event every student should attend". Yaya convinced us.

I'm not concerned if he's coming or not, I just hoping for a peaceful study camp, without any problematic drama.

Shortly after that, a silver Mercedes-Benz entered the school gate. It captivated everyone's attention. The car stops right next to the field, and the door opens slowly. A good-looking yet feminine dark purple-haired boy came out from the car. It was Fang. The sun shines brighter on him, giving him a fascinating look. He's the spotlight among these hordes of people.

"Sorry, I'm late". Fang said with a straight face.

I still can't believe that these kinds of people exist. I don't know what they're thinking, makes themselves feel superior.

"Attention everyone! There's a bus that will take us to the destination. Every bus has a sign on its windshield, showing the destination they're heading to. So make sure not to take the wrong bus."

Since we're heading to 'Famine Peak', so we take the bus that has the sign to 'Famine Peak'. We picked up our belongings on the bus, and we were ready to go.

The teacher checks the absence of the students, writing everyone's name on a sheet of paper. The bus engines are started up, the driver starts the trip.

I took a window seat so that I could see the view outside the bus clearly. Gopal sits next to me, eating the snacks that he bought yesterday.

"Attention, students! Our trip will take at least took us 6 hours to get in there. So take a rest, because we'll have a schedule once we get in there".

6 hours on a bus is a tedious occupation. So I decided to plug my earphone and listen to my favorite song, 'Eternal Flame by The Bangles'. I put my head on the window with my earphones plugged into the phone, listen to the song and gaze at the view outside the bus. My eyes are barely opened, and I snoozed up on the bus.

I woke up after having a deep sleep. We have not arrived yet, but we are close by. Gopal falls asleep, leaning his head on my shoulder. But I'm not going to wake him up, I don't want to ruin his sweet dreams.

I saw the leaves around the bus falling to the ground, leaving the trees with just a log and branches. I saw a sign hanging on a branch of a tree saying 'Welcome to Famine Peak'. I'm exhilarated, we finally could end this endless tedious trip, so I woke Gopal up.

"Gopal! Gopal! Wake- ARRRGGGH!!".

His drool soaked my polo shirt.

"Oh, good morning Boboiboy." *Gopal scrubs his eyes from a deep sleep.

"Morning?! You speaking nonsense. WHERE'S THE TISSUE?!".

I took a sheet of tissue from Gopal's purse and wiped the drool aggressively. The bus stopped, and we arrived at the camp location. I carry my backpack and get out of the bus. We are gathered in a vast field covered with dried leaves by the camp guards.

For a downtown boy like me, this is an unfamiliar sight. A vast field covered by dried leaves, surrounded by trees without any leaves attached to it.

Our group is gathered, this time with Fang too. And we're waiting for an instruction from the camp guards.