Chapter 7 : Study Camp (2)

We're all assembled in the fields. The camp guards order us to build our tent, and we are given 1 hour to be prepared. We discussed where we going to build our tent.

"How about there? There's a plain spot over there."

*Yaya pointed her finger into a corner of the field.

"Sounds good, it's a bit far from the other group tents, at least a restful spot".

I emphasize Yaya's idea.

"go, go, go! Hurry up! Before the others take the spot".

Gopal said.

We walked to the spot and started to build our tent. I untied my tent from my backpack, and read the manuals to build the tent. I've already built a tent before, but I still can't get used to it.

"Hm... According to manuals, put 4 dowels on the ground, and then bind the tent rope onto the dowels. But how they bind it?". I'm bewildered.

"Yaya, can you help me bind the tent?". I asked for a hand.

"I'm not sure, I don't even know how to build a tent. Can you help me when you finish building your tent?". Yaya asked.

"Yeah, me too. Please help me Boboiboy."
. Ying added.

"Huhuhu... I can't do this. Please help me...". Gopal frustrated.

"Okay, okay. What if we work together? We build my tent first, then I'll help you guys build your tent".

"That's a great idea!".

Everyone agrees with my idea. We built my tent together, took us around 15 minutes to finish it. What really surprised me is, that Fang has already built his tent by himself. I thought a flower that lives in a greenhouse couldn't survive in the wild. But he's beyond my expectations.

"Okay, so who's next?". I asked.

"Me, me, me!". Yaya said.

"No, me first!". Ying disagrees.

"Nah, me first. I'm his best friend". Said Gopal.

They're arguing, so I leave them to choose who's tent to build next. Meanwhile, Fang gets inside his tent without thinking about our struggles.

After a lot of struggles, we managed to build all of our tents. One of the camp guards came to us. He told us that the plan changed, and we will do the schedule after dinner.

The dazzling spectacle of a sunset is a feast for the senses. Capturing this phenomenon in words, however, can feel impossible.

We decided to cook a dinner. Yaya and Ying wanted to cook a chicken soup, and we all agreed. They gave meband Gopal an order to cut the ingredients and wash the chicken breast. So I went to the public restroom near the tent and washed the chicken breast, while Gopal sliced the ingredients.

Both of us are done, now it's time for Yaya and Ying to cook for us. The soup smells savory, makes me swallow my own saliva.

For about an hour, the dinner is ready to served. We sit on a trunk and eat the chicken soup together. But we noticed that Fang didn't join us. He's staying inside his tent.

"Hey, Fang doesn't eat his dinner?". Yaya shows her sympathy.

"I don't know. Maybe he's too shy, well it sounds weird to hear but, I think he is just shy to eat with us". Ying replied.

"You should ask him Boboiboy."

"Why me?". I started to hate this conversation.

"Because you're a boy, isn't it weird for a girl to ask a boy to eat together". Ying said.

"Hmph, fine. I got it".

I went to his tent to engage him. His tent was half-open, so I talked to him right in front of his tent.

"Fang, you don't eat your dinner?".

"No thanks, I'm not hungry. You guys can eat without me.".

His responses are a bit different this time. It doesn't annoy me, but makes me sympathize with him. I'm not sure if saw it wrong, but his expression shows sadness on his face. Because he said he was not hungry, I left him without further conversation and sat back on the trunk.

"He said he's not hungry". I said.

"He's always like that, just let him be". Yaya comforts me.

Gopal took another bowl of chicken soup from the pot. I thought he was about to eat another bowl. But he's leaving his place and walking somewhere.

"Where you going?". I wondered.

"I'm giving this to Fang. He might be hungry, but too shy to join us".

I'm not stopping him this time. I've seen his expression before, it's not like him. Fang seems to hide something. Not sure if it was my feeling, but he's a bit different from the usual.

Gopal went to Fang's tent and handed him a bowl of soup.

"Eat this Fang. You have to eat, we gonna have a schedule tonight. That's fine if you won't join us, I got it. But at least you have to eat".

Gopal leaves his tent and sits back in his place, eating another bowl.

The sun has already drowned in the mountains, and the moon has risen and taken over the job. The full moon looks so gorgeous tonight, stars are scattered in the sky, setting a tranquil feeling.

The camp guards gathered us all around a huge campfire. We sing and dance together in a circle, the camp guards share their adventurous stories with the students. We eat s'more together, creating a memorable night.

The campfire lit a glow in all of us that night. Between the songs and jokes, between the smiles and stories, our bonds became a kind of palpable ever-glow. These are the feelings I never had before in my life.

It's now midnight, the night brought silence that crackle of the campfire was all that could be heard. I have to go to the toilet because I have to take a leak. It's around 50 feet from our tent. It's a bit dark outside, the public toilets are far away from the campfire. I grabbed my flashlight to light the path.

I almost reached the toilet, but suddenly my feet stumbled into something hard. I fell to the ground, and saw something stuck on the ground. I pointed my flashlight on it to see what it was. It's a spherical object, covered with a screen just like a television.