Chapter 4

TW: SKIPPING MEALS

Lucy's POV

Tim and I have been going out on dates for a few weeks and we've gotten much closer. We are hanging out at a random park on a random Saturday when he asks the big question.

"Lucy, do you want to be my girlfriend?" He asks catching me off guard.
"But that would mean you're my boyfriend," I tell him.
"I know," Tim tells me.
"You want to be my boyfriend?" I ask.
"Yes, Luce." He smiles.
"I... I don't know Tim. I've never had a boyfriend and honestly, I've seen pictures of your exes and they don't look like me. I'm not your type. Like, come on! You play football and my own parents didn't even care about me." I frown.
"Luce. I don't mind that you're not blonde or smaller. I like your personality too." Tim tells me.

I notice him saying 'I don't mind.' he means he's compromising. 'not blonde or smaller.' he thinks I'm ugly. 

"Luce?" Tim asks softly.
"Hm?" I hum quietly suddenly feeling insecure.
"So?" He asks.
"I'll be your girlfriend." I nod.

Tim's face lights up and he pulls me into his lap.

For the rest of the afternoon, all I can think about is what he said. When we get back to mine I hug him goodbye and head inside.

That night when I heard Zoe coming upstairs to tell me dinner ready I quickly decided to fake sleep. I stay still until she leaves after kissing my forehead and then I lay there and cry myself to sleep.

The next day I purposely take too long to get ready so I have no choice but to miss breakfast.  

My classes go the same as usual and then the time I've been dreading comes by. I head over to our table and everyone is already chatting away and eating. Usually, I bring a packed lunch but I told Zoe I would just buy something though I don't intend to.

"Hey!" Chorus's from the table as I take my seat.
"Hi," I say quietly.
"Where's your lunch?" Tim asks.
"Uh..." I say trying to make up a lie but nothing is coming to me since can feel everyone's eyes on me.
"Luce. You need to eat." Jackson says.
"It's fine," I grumble.

Tim pushes his tray of food in front of me.

"Eat." He tells me.
"No, it's fine." I snap.
"Luce, is this about yesterday? Did I say something?" Tim asks.
"You're compromising. You said you didn't mind that I'm not blonde or small. I'm simply getting rid of one of the issues." I shrug.
"What the fuck is wrong with you Bradford!" Angela growls.
"Fuck. Luce, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it like it doesn't matter if you don't look like my exes because your fucking gorgeous in your own way. Honestly, the blondes were a phase but the new mature Tim likes Lucy Chen and that's it. I don't even care that it's cheesy to say." He tells me.
"Oh... I'm sorry for being dramatic." I frown.
"You weren't being dramatic, I was just being stupid with my wording per usual." He tells me.
"Now eat before I chew it up and spit it in your mouth like a mother hen," Tim says in a serious tone making my face turn to horror.
"EW!" I giggle and grab the apple taking a big bite.
"Good baby chick." He smirks and pats my head.

A few minutes later a freshman comes over.

"Uh, hey... I need a place to sit and the other girls are picking on me. Could I sit here so they hopefully won't bother me?" She asks.

We all look at each other and shrug.

"Sit." I smile and pull out the seat next to me.
"My name is Tamara. I'll be quiet I swear." She says.
"Lucy." I nod.

I instantly notice the signs of a kid from a broken home. Small frame, hair messy, shy and nervous.

"What's your story?" I ask after a moment of silence.
"What?" She asks.
"You come from a broken home. I wanna know your story if you'd like to share." I tell her.
"Oh. Uhm my parents OD'D when I was little. I'm in foster but they kinda suck. It's alright but still." She shrugs.
"I was in the foster system for the last two years. I got adopted a few months ago though." I tell her as everyone else quietly listens.
"Lucky." She frowns.

I grab my book out and a pencil and quickly scribble down some phone numbers.

"My number, my Mum's and her work number and some hotlines. If you need anything call. My Mum will be able to get you out of there if you need to. I'm sure she would find someone who would love a girl just like you." I tell her.
"Sitting at this table was the best decision of my life." Tamara smiles.

That afternoon while Tim, Genny and I are in the car Genny the curious comes out.

"Why were you in foster care?" Genny asks.

Just thinking about answering the question and telling her what I went through makes tears start running.

"Bad stuff." I whimper.
"Hey, it's ok. You're alright." Tim tells me as he rubs my thigh with his hand.

As soon as we pull up I'm moving to get out of there.

"Thanks. Bye." I tell them both and go straight inside.

I go straight to my room and sob.