CHAPTER EIGHT: rules and suspects.

Everyone watched the TV in shock as they annouced a murder of two highschoolers. Sam ran in with cute boy.

"Holy shit, that's that chode from our Film Studies class. That one obsessed with Argento." Mindy announced.

"Pack a bag. We leave in ten." Sam said as she walked to the kitchen, pointing at Tara and Ziggy. "Sam! Wait, Sam!"

"I don't get why Tara's mad, I think that's a great idea actually." Ziggy shrugged and Mindy agreed. 

"Thank you, suspicious new guy, but we got it from here. Have a good night, get home safe, go." 

"No, wait, let's talk about this for a second. 'Cause this might not have anything to do with us." Tara denied. "Are you serious?"

"It's a big city! It's Halloween, everybody's wearing masks." Tara tried to convince her sister. "Tara, this isn't a coincidence. You knew him!"

"Barely." She scoffed. "Chad, Mindy, Zigs, back me up." Sam turned to them. "It is a little bit..." Chad started. "Close to home." Mindy finished the sentence. 

"Come on, Tara. What did the movies teach us? It's always connected to the past and who's the past? Us!"

"See?" Sam agreed with them. "Quinn, your dad's a cop, right? Can you call him and find out what's going on? Before you make the unilateral decision to abandon our college education and flee the fucking state!"

"I'm calling him now." Quinn put her phone to her ear and waited. "Thank you." Tara said and Sam's phone started ringing, making them all freeze.

"Who is it?" Ziggy questioned her and saw Gale Weathers on Sam's phone. "Why did everyone just freak out when her phone rang?"

"You gotta keep up, my dude." Anika shook her head. "Sam?" Quinn stood up. "My dad wants to talk to you." She passed her the phone.

Sam talked to Mr. Bailey on the phone, who told her to come down to the station and Tara followed her, while the rest stayed in the appartment. 

-

"Ok, nerds, listen up. As terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I get a chance to redeem myself for not calling the killers last time. It;s fine. Ok.  The way I see it, someone is out to make a sequel to the requel."

"Uhm, what's a requel?" Anika raised her hand. "You're beautiful, sweetie. Let's hold questions to the end."

"Stab 1 took place in Woodsboro. Stab 2 took place in college." Ziggy realized. "So we think that the killer is trying to copy the movies?"

"That is one possibility. Heroes now in college? Check. Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list and/or body count? Check, check and check." She said as she pointed at Quinn, Anika and Ethan.

"I don't like this." Ethan said and Ziggy placed a comforting hand on top of his own. "But it can't be about just Stab 2."

"Why not?" Tara asked. "It would make sense if this were just a sequel, but we're not in a sequel, because nobody just makes sequels anymore. We're in a francise! And there are certain rules to a continuing franchise."

"I had a feeling." Sam sighed. "Rule one: Everything is bigger than last time. Bigger budget, bigger cast, bigger body count. Longer chases, shoot-outs, beheadings. You gotta top what came before to keep people coming back"

"Beheadings?" Chad asked. "Beheadings. Rule two: Whatever happened last time, expect the opposite. Franchises only survive by subverting expectations. If the killers last time were whiny snowflake film nerds, with Letterboxd accounts instead of personalities, you can bet the opposite will be true here."

"And rule three: No one is safe. Legacy characters? Cannon fodder at this point. Usually brought back only to be killed off in some cheap bid for nostalgia. It's not looking too good for Gale and Kirby. Oh, and that's not even the worst part! "

"This is the part where she tells us the worst part." Ziggy chuckled at Chad's comment. "The worst part is, franchises are just continuing episodic installments designed to boost an IP. Which means, main characters are compleyelu expandable now too."

"Laurie Strode, Nancy Thompson, Ellen Ripley, Sally Hardesty, Jigsaw, Tony Stark, James Bond, I mean even Luke Skywalker all died so their franchises could live on. That means it's not just the friend group. Any of us could go at any time, especially Sam, Tara and Ziggy."

"Wait, any of us?" Ethan joined the conversation. "Yeah." Mindy answered him. "Am I in the friend group?" He asked again. "Yeah." Mindy answered again. "Am I like one of the targets?" He kept asking and Mindy just hummed. "Am I gonna die a virgin?"

"You're still a virgin?" They all looked at Ziggy, when she asked him that, but couldn't blame her, because they all wanted to ask that question.

"That was a weird overshare. But it brings us to our current suspects. Ethan. The shy, dorky guy who no one suspects because he's so shy and dorky."

"Okay, wait. Why am I on the suspect list? Because I'm randomly Chad's roommate?" He questioned. "Roommate lotteries can be juked. You could have fixed it to get next to us."

"Quinn. The slutty roommate. A horror movie classic." She blew a kiss at her fingers. "Sex positive, but thank you?"

"Um, how did  you come to live with Sam, Tara and Zigs?" She asked the redhead. "I answered their ad online."

"Okay, say no more! You've already implicated yourself enough." She walked away from her. "It was an anonymous ad, Mindy. And you know we vetted her. Plus her dad is a cop."

"And that makes it more likely that she's the killer, because having a cop dad is a great cover. Do you not remember how these movies work, Tara?"

"And finally... Anika. Never trust the love interest." Her smile disappeared. "Ok! So, we have our rules and we have our suspects."

"But, wait. What about you guys?" Ethan accused them. "I mean, i think it's pretty safe to rule out the five of us who went through this last year in Woodsboro."

"Uhm, not agreed. Wat if the trauma you all went through caused one or more of you to snap?" Quinn theoritiesed. "Yeah, or the fame you got from the killings made you thirsty for more. I mean, let's be honest here, some of the theories online about Sam are...'"

"Don't you fucking dare." Tara stopped him. "Okay, she's right though. I mean, face facts, if we're all suspects, you're all suspects."