Chapter 25

There were contrasting emotions for Hank the next morning as he sat in his office, enjoying his first coffee of the shift. Thinking back to the previous night made him feel very happy. It had been a really nice time out with Erin and Kalinda, followed by a pleasant end to their evening over coffee, then a good night's sleep and some early morning sex. What more could anyone want? However, it was now time to officially inform the Intelligence team that he was leaving, and that was a big counterbalance to the happiness.

Just get it done, he told himself. As soon as he finished the coffee, he went for it.

"Okay, listen up," he said as he walked out into the bullpen. The team were at their desks, stopping work immediately upon his command. He had a quick passing thought about Kalinda looking sexy in her reading glasses. But then when didn't she look sexy? With everyone's attention on him, it was time to make the announcement.

"This is something I didn't plan on having to tell you any time soon. Unfortunately my hand has been forced by people further up the chain, who have been gunning for my job. Yesterday, I offered my resignation to Deputy-Superintendent Miller, and it was accepted. I'll be finishing up two weeks from now."

"Resigned? Why?" Kalinda asked, making a good job of acting like she didn't already know.

"Like I said, there are people gunning for my job. Miller came to see me out of the respect we have for each other because she didn't want to see me kicked out on my ass when there was another option."

"They've forced you out. Sons of bitches," Atwater said.

"Can't disagree with that sentiment, but don't worry, I'll be fine. By jumping before I was pushed, I'll be taking advantage of the mayor's new scheme and taking my full pension. I'll also be starting up a private detective service, so I'm confident we'll all see each other down the road." The sadness hit him hard in that moment, although he did his best not to show it.

Adam Ruzek stood up and offered his hand to Hank. "It won't be the same here without you, boss. Thank you for everything you've done for me."

That meant a lot to Hank. He nodded and shook the offered hand. "You'll be fine. All of you will be fine. Me leaving doesn't change the fact that you're all very good cops, and very good people. I'm proud of you all." He even took in Hailey as he looked around the room. Their personal relationship was broken, but the compliment still held true for her as well as the others. He noted the sombre looks around the room. The atmosphere was as if someone had died. They needed to snap out of that. "Right, that's it. Heads back in the game," he ordered.

Returning to his office, Hank quietly breathed a sigh of relief. That was the hardest part done, at least until the time came to walk out of the bullpen for the final time. That was going to be extremely tough. Look to the future beyond Intelligence, he told himself. There were a lot of positives ahead of him – with Kalinda, with Erin, and with the new venture he was soon to launch.

-----

That evening, Hank was back to having his house to himself for the first time in a while. Kalinda had gone for a drink after work with everyone else from Intelligence. Hank had no doubt that he was the topic of much discussion. It was perfectly understandable that Kalinda had gone out with them instead of seeing him. She was still working on fitting in with her new team, which was even more important now that he wasn't going to be leading it. He only hoped she was having a good time and forming some friendships.

Erin had also been invited out, to the house of a friend she had made at the gym she was now using. Hank was also pleased by that turn of events. Erin was trying to rebuild her life back in Chicago. New friends, assuming she could find some good ones, would help a lot with that.