Chapter 26

"Good morning," Kalinda said when she met Hank at the doorway of her apartment the next day.

"Morning, beautiful," Hank said. Talking like that still felt odd to him after so many years without a partner. He knew he had to get used to it though, to consistently show Kalinda how he felt about her. The compliment made her smile before they kissed each other.

She did look beautiful too, Hank thought, even dressed in blue jeans and a plain black pullover, ready for work. The usual hairstyle was there to bug him. He told himself he was going to have to get over that soon, and instead relish the times when he got to let her hair down. He had told himself that before, yet so far it wasn't working.

"How was your evening? Would you like some coffee?" she asked as they went into the apartment. The latter question was fairly redundant, since the reason she had given for inviting him over was for a coffee before work.

"Yes, please. And it was nothing special. Started putting some prep into the private detective service, then had a drink with Erin when she got home. She had a nice time with the new friend she's made. How about your night?"

Kalinda busied herself fixing the coffee. "It was enjoyable. It became something of a send-off for Hailey since it's her last day today. She's a nice person. Shame to see her go."

In that moment, Hank felt bad. Hailey was a good person, and a good cop. She had been treated badly by Jay, and, he had to admit, by him too. Anna's death had blown their relationship apart because he hadn't been able to get over it. After a moment of contemplation, he unloaded exactly what he was thinking onto Kalinda. By the time he was done, they were on the couch drinking their coffees. Kalinda had a reassuring hand on his leg.

"You shouldn't let her go without having a conversation, Hank. It's one that needs to be had, for both of you. Otherwise you'll part ways with both of you carrying a lot of negative energy."

Hank was aware that she strongly believed in karma. He figured 'negative energy' was a similar concept. Who knew, maybe she was right? Trying to clear the air with Hailey before she left might be a good idea.

"I'm going to take that advice," he decided.

"That's good. An ability to listen to other people is something I greatly admire."

The way you talk is something I greatly admire, Hank thought. He could never get enough of it. Rather than say anything, he leaned in for another kiss. It became a long, passionate one.

"If only there was time to head for the bedroom," Kalinda breathed when it was over.

"How about tonight?"

"Yes, you can come over tonight."

"Sweeten the deal by wearing some leather for me?" he asked hopefully.

Kalinda clearly liked being made to feel sexy. "I think I can do that. I've got some things you've not seen me wear yet, and I could bring out those long gloves again."

Hank could remember those. She had slept next to him wearing them, and had given him an early morning hand job with them on. The prospect of more of that was a turn on. "I'll hold you to that."

"You can hold me however you want as long as you fuck me."

Hank was rendered speechless. Dirty talk in Kalinda's incredibly well-spoken accent was truly something else.

"What, you didn't think I could talk like that?" she asked, having fun.

"Oh, I didn't doubt it. I'm sure you can be very dirty when you want to. That posh accent of yours is a good cover."