Chapter 40

The following evening, now feeling much better, Hank had suggested to Kalinda that they could go for the drinks that had originally been intended before he'd had his upsetting moment. Naturally, she had agreed, which was why Hank now found himself at her apartment waiting for her to finish getting ready.

"How do I look?" she asked when she emerged into the living room. Hank's answer was inevitable. She had a nice red top on that showed some cleavage, a black skirt that finished above the knee, and of course long black leather boots. She had applied subtle makeup that enhanced her already great natural beauty. The only downside was that her hair was up, as always. That was a battle Hank was giving up on.

"Incredible, as always," he said, getting up and going over to her.

"Ah, thank you," she said warmly. She looked him up and down. "I guess that means we make a good looking couple. I'm proud to be on the arm of such a handsome man."

The compliment itself was a nice ego boost. Somehow it felt even more so delivered in Kalinda's delightful accent. Although, in truth, he could probably enjoy hearing her cuss someone out or read policing guidelines in that accent. He was a total sucker for it, and would be the first to admit that.

"In that case we had better walk arm in arm more often," he said, playing it casually.

"You're right," she replied happily. "Did you order an Uber?" She had called through from the bedroom a few minutes earlier to ask him to do so.

Hank looked at his phone, where the Uber app was open. "Yes. Says two minutes away. We can go wait downstairs."

Kalinda went over to the coat hooks near the front door to select one of her jackets. She went for a black leather one. After putting it on, she retrieved dark red leather gloves from the pockets and put those on also.

"I don't think I've seen those before," he commented. Seeing her wearing leather always excited him, as she well knew.

"No, you haven't. I purchased them yesterday when Kevin and I had a little time to take a lunch break."

"You found time for a lunch break and you used it buy new gloves?"

She looked at him with a sexy smile on her face. "Was that a complaint?"

"Hell no," he said, and they both laughed.

With that, they left the apartment and made their way downstairs. When they stepped out of the building, the Uber was just pulling up. They got in, and the driver set off for their destination.

"So, what do you know about this 'Hunter's' place?" Hank asked Kalinda.

"Only what I told you before. Kevin recommended it to me when I said I don't know many spots in Chicago. He said it's a little pricey, but it's a really nice bar with a good atmosphere and friendly staff. He knows one thing I can't abide is rude or inefficient staff."

Hank smiled to himself, seriously doubting that he had ever heard the word abide used in conversation before. "Sounds like a nice place to spend an evening," he said, looking forward to it.

The Uber ride took less than ten minutes, due to traffic not being busy. When Hank followed Kalinda into Hunter's, he found himself in a classy, modern establishment. It was very busy, and the vibe was that everyone was having a good time. You felt it as soon as you entered. He imagined that was almost priceless if you owned a bar. He could also very easily picture Kevin Atwater bringing a woman here on a date.

"Can't see any tables available. We'll have to sit at the bar to begin with," Kalinda said, heading towards a couple of empty stools.

Although the bar was busy, service was quick. It was only a minute or so before a young blonde bartender approached. She greeted them with a smile. "Good evening. What can I get for you?"