Chapter 34

At Kalinda's request, Hank had ended up doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen before going to bed. She had explained that, much as she appreciated his offer to do it in the morning, she couldn't go to bed and sleep knowing there was a messy kitchen waiting when she woke up. Hank had decided that was fair enough, and had gone to attend to it straight away.

Nearly half an hour later, with the kitchen cleaned, dishes washed, dried and put away, mostly in the right places, he hoped, Hank went through to the bedroom where Kalinda was waiting. She was already in bed, reading something on her phone. She set it aside right away when he walked in so as to give him her full attention.

"All done," he reported.

"Thanks so much, Hank. That's greatly appreciated. Come and get into bed."

"Let me use the bathroom and wash up. I'll be right with you."

In the bathroom, going through the monotony of preparing for bed, Hank's mind was on what to do next. He decided not to try and initiate sex when he got into bed. He had a feeling that it would be best to let their next sexual encounter happen when Kalinda chose to bring it about. This particular night had been a success because he had shown love, not sexual appetite. He would continue down that road.

"That was a good night," he said when he walked back into the bedroom.

"Yes, I very much enjoyed it," Kalinda said.

Hank quickly undressed down to his boxers, then climbed into bed. Kalinda shifted to lie on her side, facing him. He did the same, putting an arm around her.

"Mmmm," she moaned softly. It was a very contented sound. "Tonight wasn't merely a good night, Hank. It was... is... the night I've enjoyed most since we've been together. I've felt happy and loved like I thought I never would be. Notice there was no 'again' at the end of that sentence. My ex never made me this happy."

And you married him, Hank thought. What a sad state of affairs. All that he had done was have his daughter and her partner come over for dinner, do the dishes, and tell Kalinda he loved her. But, he supposed, it was about the feeling behind those things that had affected her so much, not the actions themselves. What really mattered was the she was happy, right here and now.

"I'm happy I make you so happy," he said before giving her a kiss on the lips. "And of course you make me feel that way too."

"That's my aim," she said, then gave him another kiss. "Do you mind if we go straight to sleep tonight? I'm beyond tired."

"Of course I don't mind. Turn around and I'll hold you." Hank knew by now that Kalinda liked to sleep cuddled up against him, her back to him with his arm around her. Again, he realised that showed her need to feel loved.

Within minutes, he could tell that she was asleep. It always took him longer than that. Lying there listening to her gentle breathing, he considered what the future might hold for them. Living together, hopefully. Kids, no. She was unable, and he was too old. Adoption, also no. Again, he was too old, and they were both too busy for an application to succeed, even if they made one. Grandchildren were possible. He had already thought about that earlier. What about marriage? That was possible too, he thought. And at his time of life waiting years before asking her didn't feel sensible. Maybe in a few months, if things were still going so well, he might pop the question. It was something to mention to Erin and get her input.

BREAK

The next morning, Kalinda's alarm had gone off at 6am, waking them both from a very good sleep. She had needed to get up, shower, and get ready for a shift with Intelligence. There was no such rush for Hank, who was still waiting for the chance to officially open Voight Detective Services.