Chapter 28

Progress continued to be made towards opening Voight Detective Services. Hank and Erin had viewed three office spaces before settling on the second one to be the home of the new business. It was located on a small retail park in a single storey building. The entrance door opened into a reception area. Through a door secured with a key code lock there was a main office space that would work as a bullpen, with a separate office for Hank, along with a canteen and a single bathroom.

Erin was at work on the branding and media side of things. A website was under construction. She had also produced a shortlist of applicants for the receptionist position. So far, three people had been interviewed, with Hank and Erin doing the interviews together. None of the three had impressed them enough, but there were more candidates to get through.

This morning, a way more important meeting was on the agenda. It was a day off for Intelligence, making it possible for a discreet meet up between Hank, Erin and Kim Burgess. Hank had Kim's agreement in principle to join Voight Detective Services, but there was nothing definite as yet because her financial package was yet to be agreed. Hank expected no difficulties, but he knew better than to count chickens before they hatched.

Hank and Erin had arrived early at the diner where they were meeting Kim, and had managed to get a booth table. With a coffee each in front of them, they made small talk while they waited for Kim to arrive.

"Any update on Jay coming back?" he asked.

"No. All he can say is he's trying to get away as soon as he can. It is frustrating, having to wait for him. I never should have gone to New York. Should have done whatever it took to stay here and be with Jay. It won't make sense to you, but after everything I've been through I just know he's the one for me. He always has been. I love him."

"Actually, I know exactly what you mean. Kalinda and I haven't been together two months, yet I know I love her."

Erin's face lit up. "Really? Ah, that's so adorable. Have you told her?"

"No. Almost did a week or so ago, but the time wasn't right. Anyway, don't you think it's a bit early?"

She sighed. "What I think is it's dumb how people get caught up on ages or periods of time. Personally, I think you should tell people what you feel, when you feel it. If you're sure you love her, tell her."

Hank considered that. It seemed fair enough, he supposed. He had no doubt at all that he loved Kalinda. When they were apart, he missed her so much that it physically ached. When they had sex, it was the best he had ever had it. That was quite something for a man of his age.

"Hey, there's Kim," Erin said, waving to her former friend and colleague. Hank was aware that they had been quite close at one time. Now, that wasn't the case. This meeting would be a chance for them to see each other again, and maybe to start rebuilding things between them.

Erin rose to greet Kim, so Hank followed her example.

"Kim. Thanks for coming," Hank said, signalling a waitress to come over.

Kim smiled at them both. "Morning, Hank. Hey, Erin. It's been a while. You look good."

Erin chuckled. "I look like shit, but I'm working on it. You do look good though. It's nice to see you."

"Let's sit," Hank suggested.

Kim sat beside Hank, ordered a coffee from the waitress, then the serious conversation began. Hank and Erin updated Kim on the progress with Voight Detective Services, with Hank concluding by saying he hoped to be open for business in two to three weeks.

"You guys are doing well, not that I'm surprised by that. We do need to talk money."

"Yes, we do. What figure did you have in mind for a salary?" Hank asked.