Chapter 18

I awoke to the light of dawn, without the banging of metal this time. Everyone else remained asleep, minus the guard that had replaced the other one whilst he slept next to the door. I sat up and within minutes I became increasingly bored. My eyes were drawn like magnets to the floor where the small Bible lay. Sticking out of the small book now was a small orange paper. Out of both boredom and curiosity, I picked up the small book and removed the small paper.

It was a note from Mark and Yatrinya. It read, "Hey Jessie! I'm so glad that you've opened up this Bible. I have a few tips for you! In the Bible, you don't have to read it like a normal book, its unique. You can flip to any part of it and its just as good. Everything in it is 100% fact, regardless of if it has happened already in the past, is happening now, or will happen. I can promise you its all real! Jesus is God, and vice versa, but Jesus is also 100% human as well, but was and is without sin. He loves you! I hope that you'll give this Bible a chance and see just how much he loves you for yourself!"

And that does it, I'm not going any farther into this book. I looked up and sat the book to the side. No one in the room moved. Apart from the guard, they were all deeply asleep. I began to count the seconds and remember my life back home. I won most of my championships, had mostly C's, my family was all there, Makylla was a decent friend; I had a good life. Why did this universe have to steal that away from me?

I sat pondering my thoughts but eventually, boredom got the best of me. I patted my hand and my eyes spun around the room. I shifted my weight on the bed and my hand fell on something lightly textured.

I looked over and thought, nope not happening. And I decided to lay down to try to get another hour or so of sleep. I laid there with nothing but boredom. I simply couldn't fall asleep. I sat up once more and again my hand fell onto the small book. Out of boredom i opened it to a random page. I picked a small section towards the middle and read, Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Boring! I looked up to see if i could find anything else to do, but finding nothing i returned to the page and read, Wherefore take into you the whole armor of God, that he , ay be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Armor of God? I simply disregarded it and flipped backwards to read, The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.

Confused, I flipped the pages once more and read, Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Overcoming, Armor of God, Armor of God, God fighting for you? Why does this keep showing up? Surely this entire book isn't focused on fighting and battles. I decided to put down the book and re-evaluate my surroundings.

The guards were up and about, both of them, and they appeared to be switching shifts. The new one crawled onto the mattress as he handed the other guard his gun. The guard I'm so familiar with then grabs a large metal pot and a spoon. I covered my ears, as I knew what to expect. The metal banged against the silence, waking everyone up. As soon as the banging stopped, I shoved the small book into my pocket before I could forget it. I will return it to the two later today.

Katie crawled out from the back of the platform we now called bed and sat beside me. Her bruises were now more evident. I will bring revenge on those two men if it's the last thing I do.