11

I head back inside once I'm done with the call. My aunt and my mom are moving back and forth in the kitchen. My dad and my uncle are setting the table. Looking inside the living room, I peep that my aunt and uncle from my mother's side of the family, along with her parents, are here.

"Matant Fabienne!" (Aunt) I exclaim, jogging into the living room with my arms stretched out.

"Zachariah!" She shares my enthusiasm as she rises to her feet.

We exchange a hug, the genuine one where we hold on tightly and move side to side. Much different than the dry hug I gave the others. She holds my shoulders as she leans back with a big smile.

"A whole year has passed and that tattoo still looks good," She points out, "I need to make an appointment with your guy."

That right there is why I fuck with her a lot more than everyone else, aside from my cousins and my sister. She isn't as conservative and doesn't let one's image define their character for her. I laugh, "I got you, auntie."

Her husband, on the other hand, is much like everyone else in that regard. "None of that." He comments.

I put on a fake smile as I face him. "Tonton Samuel!" I exclaim with less enthusiasm.

I stretch out my arms. We hug, patting each other on the back for about 10 seconds, before we depart. Then, I move onto my grandparents. I exchange a hug with my Grandma Esther before giving my Grandpa Jean a firm handshake, since he isn't big on affection.

"Just in time, Zachariah." Aunt Rachelle pointed out, bringing the first pot to the table.

"Must've been able to sense the food coming." My dad comments.

"Good," Grandpa Jean interjects, tugging on my skin to add emphasis to his next sentence, "He needs to put some meat on his bones."

I open my mouth, but before I get to say anything, Fabiola beats me to the punch, "And you need to take some meat off of yours."

I watch Nadia quickly slap a hand over her mouth to keep herself from laughing. Richard purses his lips before hiding his face behind the fabric of his jacket. I quickly look away because their reactions are gonna make me lose it.

"Eh eh!" Grandma Esther exclaims, shoving Fabiola's shoulder.

"You too, actually." Fabiola doubles down.

"Ahhhh!" Nadia breaks before quickly slapping the hand over her mouth again.

"Nadia." Aunt Rochelle says sternly.

Richard tightens the hold on his jacket while I close my eyes.

"Fabiola!" My mom exclaims and I already know she's giving Fabiola a death stare, "Watch how you speak to your elders."

Fabiola never been one to give a fuck though, "Nah, tell your elders to watch how they speak to us if they don't want them beer bellies and drumstick arms being brought up."

I still haven't opened my eyes, but I am unsurprised when I hear footsteps and eventually, a slap, afterwards.

"That's enough out of you!"

"That's what you think."

"Eh eh," Grandma Nadège interjects, "These young people today. So disrespectful and argumentative."

Opening them, I roll my eyes and step in before this can go any further, "Can we go ahead and have prayer so we can eat?"

"Best idea I've heard all day." Uncle Michel agrees.

Fabiola is quick to walk up to the dining table like ain't shit just happened, while the elders give her mean looks. Everyone soon gathers around the table. The grandparents go to sit across from each other. Fabiola and I sit by our parents. Richard and Nadia go to sit by theirs.