three.

"i really don't get why you guys hate them so much, regina seems kinda co-"
"no, no, no! regina george is not cool, she is a scum sucking life ruiner."

eden and damian exchanged concerned looks. it had only been one lunch period, obviously cady was going to think that regina george was nice. her skipping over to them when the bell had rung should've been a sign that she thought she'd found a new best friend. cady would figure out that she was wrong, hopefully sooner than later because there was only so many warnings eden could come up with. "janis hates regina because when we were in sixth grade she told everyone-" janis spun around on the staircase. "damian!" she shot him a pleading look. "what?"

"shall we not?" damian looked to eden who was not about to get involved in whether or not they should tell cady about regina and janis' past. "don't look at me," she shook her head. "i'm just providing context," he defended himself. janis turned her attention back to cady with a mischievous smile spreading across her face. "caddy you should have lunch with them and then report back and tell us every stupid, moronic thing they say." eden stopped dead on the stairs, hoping that janis was joking but already knowing deep down that she was serious. damian almost tripped over her, not noticing her stop. "eden!" he tutted lightly at her, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"spy on them?" cady asked. eden shot janis a look in the hopes of conveying how bad of an idea this was without having to vocalise it. when cady had chased after them once the bell had rung, eden knew by her face that she had been invited to sit with them. she couldn't tell her who she could and couldn't sit with but she was hoping that maybe janis would push her in the direction of not sitting with them. she was now realising that janis was definitely going to use cady heron as a pawn in her getting revenge on regina. "isn't that bad?"

"no!" janis protested the spying part. "is that really a good idea?" eden questioned, glaring a little at janis in the hopes that the girl would stop it. "are you joking?" janis was practically jumping for joy. "this is brilliant, please tell me you'll do it." cady looked at eden for an answer which was becoming a pattern within her friend group. "look at us! would we ever ask you to do something bad?" janis had obviously decided to answer for her. she looped her arms around eden and damian's shoulders. eden wrangled her way out almost immediately.

"i can't be late for my next class," eden said once janis shot her a quizzical look as if she hadn't heard her saying that she didn't think it was a good idea to use cady to get to the plastics. she pulled her bag up higher on her shoulder. "i'll see you later." she turned and continued her way down the steps, trying to ignore the fact that she could practically feel janis' eyes boring into her back.

miss norbury's ap calculus was eden's favourite class. she was also incredibly good at math, although she hadn't thought she was really that good at anything, apparently math was one of her strong points. at first she had hated the idea of being seperate from janis and damian but right now she was grateful to get away from janis and her scheming. she pushed her way into the classroom, the woman behind the desk greeting her with a smile. miss norbury's was by far eden's favourite teacher, even if she repeatedly tried to get her to join the mathletes. she made calculus fun which eden didn't think was entirely possible.

eden took her seat at the back, pulling out her books from her bag. summer break had made her rusty with math problems so as much as she liked miss norbury, she also needed to be as far away from her as possible just in case the woman decided to start cold calling. the door opened, eden's eyes flicked up momentarily to catch none other than cady heron making her way down the class to take the table in between eden's and aaron samuels. "i didn't know you were in this class," eden smiled at her. "i would've waited for you."

"you took off pretty quickly," cady waved her off. "i didn't really have time to mention my classes." eden flushed bright red. she loved janis entirely and she'd been in love with her for years but sometimes the girls plotting and scheming got far too much. sometimes she just needed to step away and let the girl cool down. she hadn't even thought about how it would look to cady. "oh that wasn't because of you," eden said. "i didn't think it was." eden nodded slowly. "you don't have to go through with the whole sitting with the plastics thing if it makes you uncomfortable," eden lowered her voice a little.

"i'm going to do it," cady shrugged. "i mean, they really don't seem all that bad." eden raised a brow ever so slightly, she couldn't judge cady for thinking that the plastics - or regina were nice and it's not like she could set her straight. "just be careful around them," eden replied. "especially regina, she can and will manipulate everything you say to her." cady smiled a little but didn't look entirely convinced that eden was telling the truth. maybe the girl thought she was biased, maybe eden was biased but it's not like regina had ever done anything to prove she'd changed. she'd just gotten worse over the years instead.

miss norbury pulled cady's attention away from eden by starting the class. any hopes eden had of a peaceful class were long gone when all she could think of was why exactly janis wanted to know what the plastics were saying. she tried her best to keep her attention on miss norbury. "i don't expect you to know this," the woman was saying, tapping her marker against the board. "the answer is 3," cady responded, a couple of students turning in her direction - aaron samuels included.

eden was good at ignoring people and blocking them completely out, she'd been doing it for years. what she couldn't ignore in that moment was the way cady instantly straightened in her seat or how when he turned back around, she started absentmindedly twisting her ponytail around her fingers. eden had to hold herself back from outwardly groaning. she started taking notes from the board to distract herself when cady's pen landed with a small clatter to the floor, the girl watching as aaron bent down and then handed it back to her.

she shook her head a little at what was going on and then tried her best to ignore the way cady was gripping the pen extremely close to her face. she was hoping that cady would drop aaron's name into conversation with the plastics so they could warn her off given the fact he had history with regina but a part of her also hoped that maybe no one would say anything. after all, if she was preoccupied with a crush, she'd forget to spy on the plastics and janis could just let it go and maybe notice how eden was feeling for once.