sixteen.

janis leant in closer to eden, her concentration focused on the eyeliner she was currently putting on the girl. eden had always let janis do her makeup so this was nothing new but with recent developments, any time janis was that close to her, eden just wanted to kiss her. "stop it," janis bit back a smile as she tilted eden's head slightly. "i'm not even doing anything." janis raised a brow at her. "don't look at me like that, it's distracting." damian coughed loudly from where he was sat. "just a reminder that i'm still here!" eden rolled her eyes teasingly at him, nearly causing janis to ruin her makeup. "eden!"

it took them another forty minutes before they were ready to go. janis had been incredibly nervous all week about the art expo but eden knew that whatever she produced, she'd be in love with it. what she did not love was balancing on the back of a motorised scooter that belonged to damian's grandmother. "one of us really needs to get a license," eden groaned. "and it won't be me!" she didn't even think they would make it the entire way to the expo but the beat up red scooter proved her wrong as it shuddered to a halt outside the expo, damian shooting her a knowing look. "is it ok to say i told you so?" he asked. "because i told you so." eden hopped off the back of it but not before she swatted at damian who dodged out of her way.

eden nudged janis as they made their way inside, the darker haired girl smoothing down her clothes. neither eden or damian had seen what janis was working on, the girl had insisted on it being a surprise so neither of them knew what to expect. eden pushed through the doors, holding it open as damian and janis followed through. "you ok?" she asked janis, lacing her fingers with the other girls. "yeah," janis bit down on her lower lip. "a room," damian smiled at them. "get one." janis led them through double doors into where people were already gathered, walking around to see the art pieces hung from the walls.

eden could spot janis' piece almost instantly, she could make out the silhouettes that formed their friend group from the other side of the room and as janis led both her and damian to it, she could feel her heart swell up. "oh," damian stood and stared, it was probably the first time eden had ever seen him rendered speechless. janis was stood twisting her ring around her index finger anxiously as eden joined damian's side. he glanced at her and smiled softly.

"janis this is-" eden trailed off, focusing on every detail janis had put into it and how one of them was currently not there. how she hadn't been there since regina fell at the talent show. and how janis had still put her into her art, she still had the hope that cady would ditch the plastics, she had the hope that eden had lost somewhere between the talent show and now. she shoved that feeling away. damian had pulled janis in between them, his arm around her shoulders. "this is incredible," eden finished. the feedback of the microphone at the top of the room drew them out of their little bubble, a man stepping up to greet the audience before him. eden felt janis slip her hand into hers, shooting her a small smile.

the first few awards were announced, eden was so caught up in staring at janis' piece that she didn't know what was happening until he said the name 'janis imi'ike' into the microphone, drawing her out of her thoughts. she swung around to janis who had untangled their hands to approach the stage. "you doing ok?" damian asked, moving closer to eden. "yeah," the girl nodded. "why?" damian casted a glance back to where eden had been staring. "it's just-" eden trailed off. "it's nothing, i'm probably overthinking it." damian raised a brow at her. "seriously," she waved him off. "it doesn't matter."

he didn't have time to push her further, eden had spotted janis making her way back over to them and rushed towards the girl, throwing her arms around her. "it's not that big of a deal miller," janis laughed, but eden could feel her arms wrapping tightly around her waist. eden tilted janis' head upwards before she kissed her gently, janis smiling a little into their kiss before she pulled back. "you deserve it," eden gestured towards the award which made janis blush bright red. eden felt damian tapping on her shoulder. "i know, i know," she grinned at him as she spun around, her arm still wrapped around janis. "get a room, right?" she studied his face for a moment. "what?" she asked.