nine.

"wearing a mask does not count as a halloween costume," eden flopped onto janis' couch. the three of them were in janis' parents garage with the plan to spend the entire night watching horror films as always. cady was too preoccupied with a party that aaron had invited her to. "and wearing a wig doesn't count as one either." janis sat down, practically letting herself fall into eden's lap, the popcorn bowl she was holding almost falling in the process. "why exactly are you cramming yourself into the corner of the couch?" eden asked, gesturing to the empty gap that both her and damian had created for the girl. "oh i'm sorry for sitting so close to you," janis scoffed before holding out the popcorn bowl to her and not moving.

damian shot eden a look she was becoming all too familiar with and moved up on the couch a little, looking overly interested in his cheetos bag. janis reached out to press play on the film she had queued up before settling back into the couch, her head borderline resting on eden's shoulder. eden froze for what seemed like an eternity before she exhaled slowly and let herself relax. the girl currently in her lap was her friend before anything.

eden was a lover of horror films, she had seen every single film ever and every halloween, she loved to watch damian and janis jump every five seconds over films she had seen multiple times. she tried and failed to hold back her laughter watching janis' hands tighten around the top of her popcorn bowl, the girl glaring at her jokingly in response. it was only when the door of janis' garage swung open that eden herself jumped, nearly throwing janis off her lap. "fucking hell," she breathed out. "don't do that!" she studied the redhead who was currently sporting a black wig and a bloodied wedding dress. the trio on the couch exchanged looks before janis and eden made their way over to her. "hey," eden grabbed her by the hands. "everything ok?"

cady shook her head. "she took him back," she said, her voice wobbling. "she took aaron back." janis pulled the girl into a hug, eden glancing towards damian. neither of them were shocked at regina taking aaron back, she definitely didn't want him but she wasn't about to let cady have him either. "of course she did," janis pulled back. "because regina is a life ruiner." damian nodded. "when we were in sixth grade regina told everyone janis-"

"damian!" janis snapped. "ok she does not need to know." cady pushed her way through them to sit beside damian. "no it's ok, i know the story," she said. "regina got a boyfriend and you got jealous and lit her backpack on fire." eden's eyes widened. "what?" she questioned, anger flaring up within her. "oh hell no." damian stood up from the couch, eden watching him as he went to pull out a storage box from behind the projector. "damian, just leave it," janis sighed.

"no," he shook his head. "the truth shall be told." janis didn't protest much, moving back to the couch where she curled up as small as humanly possible. eden moved in next to her, cady looking at both of them cluelessly. "so regina and janis were best friends in middle school," damian pulled a blonde and brunette doll from the box. "this was the age where girls expressed their feelings through plushies." cady frowned. "i don't know-" damian pulled out the pink plushie from the box. "it's these bastards," he said. "and they were everywhere."

"janis gave regina a matching bff pair," damian continued, tapping the patch on the plushie. "she put a rainbow patch on hers, this was how she came out to her friend." eden glanced towards janis who was biting harshly on her lower lip, her eyes filled up with tears. eden reached out and took her hand, lacing her fingers through the girls before squeezing her hand reassuringly. "regina put one on hers too because she used to be human."

"now regina had a crush on this guy, kyle," damian waved the next doll at cady. "your scale is way off," janis commented lightly, damian narrowed his eyes at her. "hush," he instructed. "one night, they were playing spin the bottle," damian sat the dolls down and spun the empty bottle that was on the table. "and regina thought that kyle liked karen more so when the bottle stopped on janis, she decided to put on a little show." he leant the doll he was using for regina forward. eden could feel janis draw in a breath from beside her. "afterwards she was like 'i knew she'd let me do it, she's like obsessed with me' which is not cool." eden watched the way cady's face changed, like everything was finally clicking into place for her.