eight.

"i left you two alone so you'd get together," damian groaned dramatically, both him and eden were sat at the tree outside, waiting for both janis and cady."i don't know why you'd think that would ever happen," eden raised a brow at him. "you two being clueless was cute at first but it's getting a little annoying," damian said. "even cady can see it." eden shook her head at him, catching sight of cady and janis walking towards them, janis laughing at something cady was saying. the redhead waved to them both, damian nudging eden. "maybe she's stealing your girl."

"she's not my girl," eden corrected him. "and also do i have to remind you of how hopeless she is with aaron samuels?" damian scoffed. "you do not have the rights to be calling anyone hopeless right now." he shut his mouth almost instantly as the two girls approached them, janis still laughing at cady. she dropped down to sit next to eden, the girl shooting her a quizzical look. "what's so funny?" she asked, glancing towards cady who flushed red. "oh we were just talking about aaron," she said. "and how i can't figure out how to talk to him properly." she didn't need to explain to eden how she couldn't talk to aaron properly, eden had a perfect view of every awkward interaction she had with him ever since she walked into that calculus class.

"yeah maybe just say thank you the next time he gives you a compliment," eden grinned at her, cady groaning in response as janis dragged that story from her. "maybe just try and have one normal interaction for now," damian suggested, moving closer to cady so he could pull more embarrassing interactions from her. "this looks really good," eden turned her attention to janis, pointing towards the needlework. "thanks," janis smiled softly at her. "it needs some work still." she glanced up at eden, the girl suddenly realising how close they were to each other. the bell to signal the end of break drew them out of their little bubble, eden moving away subtly.

"hey, you ready for calc?" cady asked, pulling her bag up on her shoulder. "i don't know, are you ready to have a normal conversation with aaron samuels?" eden pushed herself up from the ground, holding her hand out to pull janis up with her. "yeah, maybe." she shook her head in amusement, as much as watching cady and aaron was like watching a car crash, she couldn't deny that she behaved the exact same around janis before she learnt to push her feelings for the girl far back.

"well actually i have been pretending like i don't understand calc," cady shrugged, eden's attention snapping back to her. she'd picked up on 99% of aaron and cady's conversations with how close she'd been sitting to them but this was new information to her. "wait hold up," janis frowned at her. "you pretended to be dumb so you could keep talking to a guy?" cady shrugged. "yeah," she laughed. "it worked." janis' frown deepened. "cause that shit always works caddy, it doesn't mean that it's not evil. fracking works, red-lining works, gasoline and rags-"

"aren't you worried regina will eat your face if she
finds out?" damian cut janis off, cady shrugged in response. "no she won't find out. it's just my little calculus secret." cady didn't look like she really cared if regina found out which worried eden a little more than it should've. if there was one thing regina george was bound to do, it was sabotage cady at any chance she got.

"hey," cady pushed her math textbook out from her table a little. "do you get how to do this?" eden's mouth dropped open a little, she didn't know how she didn't realise cady was acting like she didn't understand calculus but she was currently being very convincing. not that eden approved of it. or that aaron samuels would be the person to ask for help considering he explained the problem incorrectly to her.

miss norbury dropped eden's test on her table, smiling slightly at her before moving on, eden glanced down towards the 95% mark on the top of her page and let out a small breath of relief. "i don't get any of this," cady shook her head at the same time miss norbury put her test onto the table. "it looks like you got it," aaron commented before turning back around to his desk. eden watched the way cady's shoulders fell, she couldn't deny that she felt a little bit sorry for her.

the girl turned to her. "slightly successful interaction," eden commented quietly, getting a smile from her in response. "can i ask you something?" cady pulled her chair closer to eden's table, taking her test with her so miss norbury wouldn't separate both of them. "is it calculus related?" she asked. "no it's you and janis related." eden froze for a split second before clearing her throat. "i don't know what-"

"you like her, right?" cady cut her off mid-sentence, eden faltering at how blunt the girl in front of her was. "um-" she trailed off, unsure on how exactly she was supposed to answer. "why don't you tell her?" eden shrugged. "it's not that easy." cady frowned at her. "she likes you too," cady smiled. "it's really obvious." miss norbury had begun working on the problem she had left on the whiteboard, ignoring the fact that cady was doing anything but pay attention. "i just thought i could help a little," she said.

"oh no," eden's eyes widened ever so slightly. "you do not need to do anything." cady didn't look like she was going to listen to her. "and please do not mention matchmaking to damian," eden continued. "he's too into it." miss norbury clicked her fingers towards where cady and eden were. "you two, eyes up front." cady rolled her eyes before turning back around, a knowing smile tugging at her lips. eden knew that cady wasn't supposed to talk about any of them around the plastics but a part of her wondered whether she had mentioned eden to regina. it was extremely easy for eden's friendship with janis to crash and burn over a crush and all it needed was for regina to strike that match.