twenty.

"she said what?" a couple of heads turned in their direction in the cafeteria at the mild hysteria in damian's voice. eden assumed that news of cady being carted out of ap calculus over the burn book would've travelled by now but she had apparently been wrong. janis was remaining extremely quiet about the entire thing, twisting her fork around on her plate absentmindedly. "she said she wrote the entire thing?" eden shook her head. "no, she said she wrote that miss norbury was a drug pusher," she sighed. "which, i mean, obviously, no other plastic has her as a teacher." she shrugged. "i don't think she wrote anything else."

damian raised a brow at her. "obviously she told them about the whole too gay to function and unrequited crush thing but technically she didn't write it," eden reminded him. "because that makes it better," janis muttered from beside her. "what do you think is going to happen to her?" eden questioned. "she never came back to calc and i checked the bathrooms before i came here, she's not hiding out there either." janis exchanged a look that eden couldn't quite read with damian. "you were checking up on her?" janis asked. "again?"

"no?" eden tore her eyes away from the girl. "maybe just a little." damian shook his head. "you are a lost cause," he said. "i was going to text her, at least i had the restraint to not do that," eden protested. janis' fork stilled mid-air, she focused on the girl beside her, waiting for her to announce she was joking. when she realised that eden was serious, she dropped her fork onto the tray. "you can't be serious." eden's anger towards cady was still there but her reasonable side tended to overtake anger in situations where everyone hated the same person.

"i know," eden groaned. "she's just as bad as regina, i can't help it." she ran a hand through her hair. "you asked her to come clean about miss norbury," janis reminded her. news of her telling regina to 'get fucked' had travelled pretty quickly so eden had included that piece of information with her dragging cady away from the sight of regina unconscious the day before. "she wouldn't have done it if you hadn't made her feel bad." eden shrugged. "i don't think i made her feel bad," she replied. "i think mr duvall standing at the top of the class made her feel bad about it."

"regardless, she should feel bad about it," janis rolled her eyes. "she chose being plastic over everything, now she's paying for it." eden nodded slowly. she had been feeling so conflicted over cady but she knew for certain that she didn't trust the girl. nothing she currently said would make eden want to be around her again. having janis and damian feel the same way made her feel a little less guilty about feeling that way. "you're right," eden said. "she's not my problem." janis was still focused on her lunch tray, both damian and eden knew that everything that had gone down with cady had seemed to hit her the hardest. eden knew that most of the grudge she was currently holding against the girl was definitely because of the way janis had been affected by it.

the bell rang, pulling eden's attention away from janis who hadn't realised both eden and damian had been staring at her with concerned looks. damian was the first off the benches, shooting eden a look that she knew all too well. she nudged janis gently as they both stood from where they had been seated. "are you ok?" she asked. "yeah," janis replied a little too rapidly. "janis." the girl shook her head. "i'm fine." eden stepped in front of janis, stopping the girl in her tracks. "please don't make this into a thing," janis pleaded. "the fact that you refuse to tell me how you're feeling is extremely irritating," eden joked.

"i don't want to talk about this right now," janis groaned. "i'm so sick of hearing about cady and regina and the plastics, can we just be us?" eden blinked in surprise, she had always been the one that was sick of hearing about the plastics. "yeah?" eden nodded, trying to push away how much it sounded like a question. "i just want you to know you can talk to me," she continued. "i know i've been weird with stuff before." janis smiled softly at her. "i know i can talk to you," she reassured her. "i just don't want to talk about it right now." eden nodded. "well when you do want to talk about it, i'm here." janis pulled her into a quick kiss, short enough that they wouldn't draw attention to themselves but enough for both girls to know they were going to be ok.

"how many times do i have to tell you two to get a room?" damian called out to them, the remaining lingering students in the cafeteria shooting him quizzical looks before their eyes wandered to janis and eden. "i'm going to have to tell my mom before she hears it through the northshore gossip channel," eden sighed. "yeah," janis nodded, stifling her laughter as both of them made their way to where damian was waiting for them.

when they entered their french class, most of the students were already in their seats. the chair beside eden remained empty. the girls seated behind damian were deep in conversation about a suspension as eden could overhear as she took her seat. she exchanged looks with janis, watching as damian turned around in his seat to ask both girls who they were talking about. "cady heron," one of them replied. "i heard mr duvall suspended her for a month."

"a month?" eden mouthed at janis who just shrugged. a small part of eden hoped that cady would get a punishment and not a warning. partially because she was being petty about this entire situation but mostly because she wanted cady to come to her senses that being a plastic was a terrible option. but eden had assumed that detention would be the worst type of punishment that cady would get, yes she had written lies about miss norbury but regina had been the one to write the entire book. eden's assumption had lied with the conclusion that cady would give regina up, but with the girl having been hit by a bus, it complicated things just a little.

eden told herself it was deserved, the social tiers at northshore seemed to be having a current shift, the plastics were currently dethroned giving that they had no leader and no one seemed to care about cady or regina's queen bee status anymore. with regina being hit by a bus and cady having a possible one month suspension, it gave the school the chance to get back to normal. it gave eden the breathing space to not have to stress about revenge plans and regina glaring their group down every time she saw them. she had started a relationship with the girl she had been in love with for years and it seemed like things could finally settle at northshore. eden wasn't a big fan of change, but all of this didn't seem like the worst thing possible to her anymore.