humesha

written for another ship a while back! altered it to match priyankit <3

'

it had been almost a month since priyanka had realized her feelings for ankit. And almost immediately, she started avoiding him. a part of her had always known that there was more, but she had repeatedly told herself otherwise and overtime she had started believing it. 

she hadn't realised how deeply in love she was. everyone else did as usual but the one her heart restlessly waited for, as usual was oblivious.

they were just friends. granted, he would do something so insanely romantic in the smallest of ways possible and make her all giddy as she was a young teenager again. it drove her insane, and she hated how easily she was losing control over the grip she had on these particular feelings all those years ago. 

she had thought she was over it, and she was sure she was. but here he was, staying over for longer, making plans first and doing the most ridiculous things just to see her smile, the fondness in his eyes unwavering, and he would always try to feel her touch as much as he could, even when he simply had to move past to grab something, his hand would linger on the small of her back for longer than required.  everytime he had told her that marriage felt different to him now, she held her breath not wanting to feel any hope. he would even pull her close, and just hug her by pressing a random kiss onto the side of her head, and it would always be on the days she had a hard time. it was as if he knew. 

the thought of him feeling anything back had been shut out of her mind. it just wasn't meant to be, but she knew deep down that the reason for her to even realise that these feelings translated into deep love was because she was running away- not from her feelings but the truth. 

the possibility that they could have everything they had restricted before. 

The realization had happened in the living room of her apartment. he had come over, because she had been craving to try this new recipe but knowing that she wasn't the most experienced chef, he agreed to help. 

the 'helping' turned into more of just him cooking while she sat on the countertop next to him and providing free entertainment. but to ankit, she acted more as a distraction because he would look at her and it would require a great effort to tear his eyes away from her to focus on the dish. 

when they had decided to let the curry simmer on the stove, ankit reached his hand out and pulled her down to him. she giggled as he pulled her into a sloppy dance, it was to a dance from an old movie movie  playing in the background.

they had a bit of fun, as he would dip her and spin her around till she grabbed onto him firmly, laughter escaping her as their faces met. his hand idly rubbed her back as they danced a bit more slowly, and  just for a moment,  she felt that they were one person. When she leaned back to look at him, his warm brown eyes, shined and softened ever so slightly as they met hers,  and she found the strongest unnerving urge to kiss him,  and she almost did.

but then her subconcious, overthinking nature kicked in. she stepped back from him, slowly. he frowned and she reached over to stop the stove, using the dish he made as a ruse. 

"thank god i saved the food" she says, and they were back again to square one. he smiled a while after, and she wishes he didn't because the regret of not kissing him filled her once again. 

they had danced like this many times, but this intimately, cooking food for each other, sleeping over, and dancing in the dimly lit kitchen with a good amount of wine in their system? never, and for a reason because now the realization that she had loves him, and did for a while hit her like a ton of bricks.